Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    detroitdiesel Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2005, 03:10 AM
    Recessed lights
    Good morning everyone.

Started project installing 4 recessed lights in family room. I am running a dedicated circuit just for the lights, composed of

12/2 with ground
    20amp breaker
    And 1 switch

My question is the switch is a single pole rated at 15 amp, is this switch safe and OK to use, or do they make a 20 amp switch.

Thank you for any info.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 03:26 AM
    For that line, the 15amp switch will be fine. Those 4 lights probably only pull a few amps.

You might want to double check the amperage to be sure, though.

Nov 29, 2005, 03:41 AM
    The manual didn't spec how many amps
    In fact the manual was pretty vague. They are emerald series lights.
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 04:44 AM
    I'd have to think there's no way they could pull 15 amps.

I'd put that switch on, but just to be sure, pick up a 20 amp switch next time you're near Home Depot, Lowe's or Sears.

Nov 29, 2005, 05:41 AM
    Sounds good, I was just thinking about putting them on a dimmer switch anyway
    They make 20 amp dimmers right.

Thanks
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 05:49 AM
    Yep.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 06:09 AM
    How many bulbs does each fixture have, one? Does the fixture limit you to a 60 watt bulb like many? 4 x 60/ 120 = 2 amps. Even 300 watt bulbs would still be only 10 amps. A good way to start a fire is to exceed any limit marked on the fixture.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2005, 05:46 PM
    First thing... run back to the store and trade the Emerald fixtures in for Halo style recessed cans. I installed Emerald cans for a customer once and will not do so again. They are flimsy and awkward to work with. I know they are cheap... but its just not worth it. Second you really don't need a 20 amp circuit for those cans. A 15 would be just super and easier to work with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Lighting [ 8 Answers ]

Need help with Recessed Lighting. The included picture is an electrical diagram I used in wiring up some recessed lighting. The switches used are 600w Dimmer Switches with push on/off feature. The problem is that on the center switch the dimming feature burns out consistently but I am still able...

Recessed lights [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting can lights in the basement. I can't decied whether or not to put drywall on the ceiling or this new drop ceiling its made of pvc it attaches right to the floor joists and the tiles clip in. you lose 1 inch. The confusing part is how do I put the can in to make up that inch or will the...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

Recessed cans and I/C rating, what does it really mean? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello again all, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I installed 8 recessed (6") cans in my attic ceiling. they are rated for insulation contact (I/C) . they are installed in a 2x4 ceiling. i plan to lay insulation perpindicular/over the top of the 2x4's. and then also insulate...

Recessed Lights Spacing & other questions [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I'm installing recessed lights in my basements finishing job, and I bought a bunch of cans at home depot. 12 to start with, but I'm sure I'll need more. My question is about the spacing for these recessed lights. I found a website that said I should space the lights between 6-8 feet apart for...

View more questions Search