Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    applehead2007 Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Am I selfish?
    I am doing a lot of soul-searching these days after a bad breakup. I always had considered myself to be a very giving person, because I agreed to move when my ex wanted to move and I felt it was a big sacrifice. Looking back, though, I think I held a grudge for doing this for him and then I was actually very selfish and stingy with my feelings in my relationship. I don't know if this is something that is going to be a continuing problem in future relationships, so I am concerned.

I get defensive easily and I don't think I set realistic expectations for others, so then I get disappointed and hold things against them. In my next relationship, what suggestions do you have for me to be assertive on things that really matter and ways to put things that don't ("He is too short, he never takes me dancing, etc...") in perspective? I don't want to lose another relationship!

And, no we are not getting back together. He already has a new girlfriend and doesn't want to talk to me, so I don't want to go down that road.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Find out their goals and what they want in life by asking questions like how many kids would you like to have, do you plan on staying in this town or where is your ideal place to live, do you like assertive women, picky women, etc... Actually get to know a guy before you jump into anything with him.
    It can be difficult to go along with someone just to make them happy and not feel resentment that they took away, messed up or stalled your plans. It is not always selfish to say no. When possible compromise with something you both can live with.
    applehead2007 Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Thanks, that is good advice. I was 23 when we met and he was 32, so I think that had a lot to do with it.
    Applejacks83irv Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

Nov 20, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Hell yeah! That have a lot to do with that! He live more then you?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Any relationship is going to require a certain degree of compromise. And nobody is perfect so anyone you have a relationship with is going to have some flaws. What you need to do is to decide what you're willing to compromise on and what you're not. You mentioned relocating in your last relationship for the sake of your partner and then later resenting him for it. It's not fair to put that burden on his shoulders. You need(ed) to decide whether that was something you were/are willing to do. In this last instance it was probably a bad move. But you made that decision and you have to accept responsibility for it. Actually now is a good time for you to decide on your priorities and decide what you will and will not compromise on, since you're currently not in a relationship and there's nothing to cloud your judgement. The main thing is to keep your power. Make sure that any decision you make is yours and yours alone. It's hard to give you a lot of specifics, save for the issue of relocating (which at this point I think it's safe to say you are against), since we don't know much about your life situation and therefore can't anticipate what kinds of sacrifices you may have to make in a future relationship. But it's up to you to decide what you will and will not accept. Of course, the emphasis is on the things that would directly impact you ; not on things like "he's too short" , "he never takes me dancing", etc.
    Applejacks83irv Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

Nov 21, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Well your dumb! Hey girl! Look your 23 and I'm sure your really cute. And compromise with an old man come on now? You can't teach and old dog new ticks and if he's got you? Apple head, what make you so sure? He do have another peace of young azz! Out there?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm just being selfish, right? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm sure all of you have better things to do than read my complaining~ :o Lately I've been feeling very... stressed out? I don't know. But sometimes I just think that being dead is just so much easier than having to go through and deal with what happens in life. I'm too scared of the actual...

Am I being selfish? [ 14 Answers ]

We've been married for a little over 3 years now (no kids). My wife brings home work to do a lot which takes up the majority of her energy each day. This basically means not much gets done unless I do it. I cook, I clean, I pay the bills, and pretty much do everything else. We've talked about...

Am I just being selfish or do I have to right to be? [ 2 Answers ]

Ive been this girl for on/off for about 3 years now. When we weren't going out we had other small relationships.Now I'm having troubles getting over the fact that she's been kind "slutty" with a few guys doing a fair few sexual acts and whatnot.now the prob is is that I had one relationship where I...

Being selfish [ 3 Answers ]

I am being very selfish to my husband I need some advice. I have a great husband we are trying to patch things up and I am being very selfish to him, help me

Selfish, self-centered boyfriend=selfish, self-centered husband [ 6 Answers ]

My husband has done many things to hurt me. To begin, he lied about who he was when we were dating. We were young and in college; he pretended to not smoke, get drunk, and go to church regularly. Thus, we seemed to have so much in common. We talked for hours; he swept me off my feet with...

View more questions Search