Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMom2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 10:54 AM
    5 day old puppies have fleas
    I don't want anyone jumping on me. We were given a female Chihuahua a little over a month ago and at the time we didn't know she was pregnant. We have had two Chi's for 9 years, both spayed, one recently passed away from CHF. We are responsible pet owners... never any puppies until now.

Our new Chihuahua just had puppies on the 15th and they have fleas. I've been keeping everything clean, but hadn't been able to treat mom while she was pregnant. Is there anything that I can SAFELY do to help rid the babies of their problem before it gets really bad? We live in North Central Texas and it hasn't gotten cold enough to drive the pests underground yet. HELP!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 11:04 AM
    I have used a lice comb on pets with fleas when the flea stuff was not an option.
    Comb their fur GENTLY backwards (tail to head).
    If you do this keep a bowl of hot water with bleach in it right next to you so that you can put the fleas in it so they don't get on the ground and back on the pups.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Thank you for the extra explanation. Sometimes we are too quick to jump on people that give us too little information. Unfortunately, in most cases it is justified.

Even in your case, if you knew she was pregnant, and had fleas, why didn't you check with your vet on a safe remedy? I can understand not wanting to spend too much money on a problem you adopted, but you risk letting the fleas get established in your home. One established they may reproduce faster than the best remedies can kill them. The combing above may rid them of fleas, but all your dogs will be reinfested if you don't take more aggressive action. Your best course is to talk to your vet. The vets have the most effective and safest remedies. Likely you will need to remove the all the dogs and bomb the house. Then treat all the dogs with a product the vet says is safe for them.
    ChihuahuaMom2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 01:51 PM
    We didn't know she was pregnant when we got her, and had been bathing her for the first 2 weeks with flea shampoo. The problem is that when she goes outside to relieve herself, she carries them back in with her. The fleas in this area have been a huge problem for everyone, and virtually nothing touches them and we've tried it all. We've treated the yard and the house... we have hardwood floors, so no problem with the carpet. However, she carries them to her box where her puppies are. I know we can't treat her for them right now with a commercial flea shampoo or something like Frontline, which is what we normally use since she is nursing.

I will definitely get a lice comb and see if that works. I had read where you could use Dawn on the puppies and then use a blow dryer to dry them completely, and then applying some rubbed sage on their backs, but I am very weary of giving them any sort of bath at such a young age.

Thank you for the suggestion!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 01:56 PM
    I would try the home remedies to get the problem cut down and then take them to the vet to be on the safe side.
    The Pet Smart where I live has a pet clinic.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Dawn has caused bad reactions. Forget the games and get with the vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 week old puppies have fleas. [ 32 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, my female gave birth to 5 beautiful puppies. I noticed that they are really infested with fleas. I really don't know what to do because of their age. I gave all the animals in my house a bath and cahnged their blankets. They still are covered. What should I do, and is it safe to...

Newborn Puppies with Fleas, PLEASE help [ 6 Answers ]

My Jack Russell Terrier just had her first set of 3 healthy male puppies. They are only 2 weeks old, and their eyes have just now began to open. They have a MAJOR flea problem. I know all puppies have fleas but I mean its so bad I end up flea combing 20 off at a time and many more, and I flea comb...

Fleas on Puppies [ 5 Answers ]

What kind of treatment can you give 4wk old puppies?

Fleas on puppies [ 6 Answers ]

My niece has a new puppy 6 months old ,what can we do about fleas?

Puppies and fleas [ 11 Answers ]

My puppies are 2weeks old and they are covered in fleas what can I do or what can I use on them

View more questions Search