Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Safe people food and water
    I know that chocolate, onions and chicken bones are bad for dogs.
    I hear some say garlic is good and others that say it is as bad as onions for a dog. I wanted to know which it is and what other foods are bad for dogs.

Also mainly wanted to know if olive oil is safe for dogs. My dog has been turning up her nose at her water bowl and going after my water/oil floating candle instead. I heard oil is good for their fur and skin So I wanted to put a little oil in her water as long as it is safe.

Thanks
    Linda
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 10:37 AM
    I don't think there is anything wrong with giving dogs garlic or olive oil. I know of no reliable source showing either does much good either. Olive oil is largely oleic acid, but does have 14% of the linoleic acid dogs need. Corn oil and soybean oil both have over 50%. The one infallible rule is that if it doesn't come in a dog chow bag, your dog will do fine without it.
    Poly Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Nov 20, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Onions cause anemia in dogs because of a chemical called thiosulfate. Garlic contains the same chemical, although in much lesser quantity. Therefore, feeding too much garlic would be the same as feeding onions.

How much is "too much"? I don't know. But why would I want to experiment on my dog to find out? The dog food manufacturers have laboratories and are constantly testing ingredients.

Thiosulfates also show up in other things that you wouldn't really think about - like aquarium water conditioners and winemaking kits - so be aware of what you have around your house.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 03:02 PM
    One of my previous vets stated that there was a wheat germ oil for pets that could be added to the dry food - like one teaspoon, twice a week. Did that for the first dog my ex and I owned, who was very sick when we bought him. Faulty breeder and naïve dog owners who just did not know better at the time. The dog I have now, anything I do give her is run by her Vet for approval.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2007, 09:39 AM
    -No List
    Do not feed your dog the following:
    - Alcoholic beverages
    - Chocolate
    - Coffee
    - Grapes & raisins
    - Moldy or spoiled food
    - Onions, garlic & chives
    - Poultry bones
    - Salt & salty foods
    - Tomato leaves, stems & unripe fruit
    - Yeast dough
    Apple seeds, I believe if you go to Woodhaven labs webs site, there is a better list.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Food safe in panama? [ 4 Answers ]

Is food safe to eat in Panama?

I am a burden, so I am refusing food and water [ 13 Answers ]

I am 53, I am diabled, but I have no car, false teeth that need repacing and my family will not help enough, and I am not blaming them, to help me get either, I have become Completely ISOLATED. I am dependent on the family that will help, though they make it clear they help begrudgingly, they never...

Must a warehouse employer prvode safe drinking water in NJ? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it OSHA regulation in NJ that an employer must provide safe drinking water?

How much "people food" can a kitten take? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I have a 2 and 1/2 month old kitten named Auni. She is an adorable, perfectly healthy kitten. But I have one question, how much people food can a cat have before it starts to create health problems? My Mom just won't STOP feeding her people food! She gives her EVERYTHING, and of...

View more questions Search