Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronnieca1955 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2005, 08:48 PM
    Contractor
    This might be a silly question but here goes, I am a middle aged man wanting to start a painting business, a career change if you will? But do I need some kind of contractors license to do this? I paint fantastic and pretty good in faux painting. How would I get by without getting sued for being a non contractor. I live in PA if someone knows the laws here.

Thank you

ronnieca1955
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 03:37 AM
    I don't know PA, but might assume it's not much different than here in OH.

Here, a Business License can be purchased from the Clerk of Courts for $25.

It's not required by law to do work, but the benefits of being a "legit" business, registered with the Clerk of Courts, certainly has it's benefits (including being able to be registered with the BBB).
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 29, 2005, 05:26 AM
    If your working in a city, check, they probably make you get a license. I have a small remodeling business in the burb's of Philly an the licenses I carry are local townships I mainly work in.
    There no state law saying you have to be licensed that I'm aware of.
    Get liabilty insurance to cover your butt. Its worth the piece of mind.
    More than likely you'll be a sole proprietor. You can use your SS# for taxes or you can get a tax ID#. The tax ID you can get over the net is seconds anymore. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! I'm about to call a contractor! [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I have two Carrier AC units, one for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. Last year, both units worked fine. Now, my upstairs unit is not working. The fan on both the inside and the outside is working, but it is not blowing cold air. My downstairs unit blows fine. Now, I know very...

Please Help: Advice for a homeowner about a Contractor! [ 4 Answers ]

Good afternoon. First some background. Recently I got a new position with my company. I stay in Cherry Hill NJ 3 weeks of every month for work, and on the 4th week I fly home to Oregon to be with my family. Hard hours, but that's how I pay the bills. I rent a room with a friend while here,...

New independent contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I just took 2nd job--as independent contractor. I don't want to end up having to pay at end of tax year (2006) so can someone tell me what I need to do to pay taxes throughout year out of each check I receive so I don't end up having to pay at the end of the year next year?? I'd rather do it on...

Sub-contractor liability [ 3 Answers ]

I am a resident of Michigan,and am a sub-contractor for a limo company. I am curious about a situation that happened to two other employees one was hit by a stolen car and was charged by our boss the deductible for the damage.the other guy hit a barrier and is being charged for all the repairs to...

View more questions Search