Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    china_mm019 Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Nov 28, 2005, 07:25 PM
    Is teaching hard?
    Hi, I'm in my first year in college and I'm plannig to major in education for elementary, I would like to know if being a teacher is too much, meanig if it's a stressful job or a fun job? Also is it hard to study to be a teacher, its hard for me right now, as a freshie but I'm worried that it might get harder as I go higher is is that hard? :confused: Thank you.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Nov 28, 2005, 07:44 PM
    I'm wearing pink pajamas
    You will be surrounded by crying screaming kids who's parents will be celebrating that you are dealing with themfor a few hours. No it is not in the least bit easy but you can make it a little easier and it can be very fun. My friends mama was a teacher for years and she tells me that teachers have it pretty rough.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Nov 28, 2005, 09:52 PM
    Teaching is not fun unless you enjoy working with kids and be able to stand government bureacracy. Without such dedication, it's just another job and you will be looking for another line of work soon after.

Try tutoring some kids first and see if it is your cup of tea.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2005, 05:56 AM
    Teaching
    Hi,
    While in my early yrs, straight out of college, I was a High School Math teacher for about 10 yrs... going to college at the same time, majoring in Engineering, another Bachelor's Degree.
    Teaching can be fun, if you like children. If you don't, then find another profession. Elementary school is very challenging and rewarding. You might also want to check out the pay in whatever area you intend to teach. I finally quit teaching cause, at that time, the pay just wasn't worth it!
    I do wish you best, and hope you have a good freshman year. Your success in your first year depends on how hard you work at your studies. If you don't maintain at least a C average in each class, then it will get harder... in any subject area or profession.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2005, 03:53 PM
    Wow fredg,

You seem to have done everything. Married for 28 years, taught for 10, being an engineer.

To your question, china_mm019.

College is hard. No sense lying about that. They teach me how to speel.

You need to be able to enjoy listening to kids wine day in day out about the littlest of things. And I don't know where you live, but from my understanding in America teachers don't get paid that much. Some parts here in Canada are better (except BC).

But if you can hanle little kids all the time, then I think you will do well. Elemtary school's primarcy function is a babysitter service. Yes, there other other services offered as well, but baby sitting them is a big one (along with teaching them how to read and write, play with each other, etc.).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2005, 04:25 PM
    Teaching
    You have to want to teach.

There is little dispilne in most public school, and the pay is lower than most jobs with the same education. Most parents won't be any help at all, others will be calling in telling the admin you are not doing your job right, oryou are mis treating their kid.

You can't ever be alone with a student, in fear of sexual abuse crys.

You have to want to do the job and have a calling to teach. Your best bet is try to find a part time job in a tutoring job to try working with kids of the age you plan to teach. Next during the summer if possible you may wish to try to work in a area around kids that age also.

You will either love it or hate, it. I tried a middle school class once but it was bad.
    china_mm019 Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Nov 29, 2005, 06:32 PM
    Fredg
    I really like to work with kids, I have volunteer for the past five years to work with children. Right now, well actaully this is my second year that I'm teaching CCD they don't pay me, its just volunteering. Fredg, how much did you got paid? Or do you know how much a elementary teacher gets paid? Do you recommend me to work on a public school or on a private school? :confused: B/C I'm plannig to work on a public school first and then switch to a private school.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2005, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by china_mm019
    Do you recommend me to work on a public school or on a private school? :confused: B/C i'm plannig to work on a public school first and then switch to a private school.
    You'll earn more money in a public school and no doubt receive a more lucriative benefit package, but as rjkim pointed out, in a private school you'll have far less government bureaucracy to deal with. Also, Fr Chuck points out the issue of discipline. You'll have much more discipline in a private school and your students will be held more accountable. Either way you look at things, there will be trade-offs. Private schools often have to deal with very limited budgets, not just when it comes to pay and benefits, but when it comes to things such as textbooks and supplies which every classroom teacher needs. Not that public schools have it great in this category but it tends to be especially troublesome for private schools. There is a lot of controversy over giving federal grant money to private schools since a lot of them tend to be religiously-oriented.
    Sunni Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Jan 16, 2006, 10:03 PM
    hi, i'm in my first year in college and i'm plannig to major in education for elementary, i would like to know if being a teacher is too much, meanig if its a stressful job or a fun job?? Also is it hard to study to be a teacher, its hard for me right now, as a freshie but i'm worried that it might get harder as i go higher is is that hard?? :confused: Thankyou.
    This nation is always in need of good teachers. Is this the field that you really want to go into? Do you like kids? Teachers do not make the kind of money people think they do, and it is a lot of hard work. My husband was a teacher (now a principal) and he really enjoyed teaching. Teaching is more than an 8-4:00 job. I don't want to discourage you, but you don't sound too sure about your choice in this career. Here if you need to talk :)
    sondrea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 09:22 PM
    I can only speak from experience... my first year was hard only because it was something totally new. Dealing with teens from all different walks of life, trying to figure out when it is best to grade papers, trying to still have a life... and so and so on... got really difficult. However, as many veterans say that if you can make it through the first year then you can make it. This is my second year and I must say... it has definitely been a better year even with all the changes. You will still be mentally drained but you can definitely make it through the challenges of everyday teaching.
    poohl3t Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 02:50 PM
    hi, i'm in my first year in college and i'm plannig to major in education for elementary, i would like to know if being a teacher is too much, meanig if its a stressful job or a fun job?? Also is it hard to study to be a teacher, its hard for me right now, as a freshie but i'm worried that it might get harder as i go higher is is that hard?? :confused: Thankyou.
    Try your hardest
    koreankoshi1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2007, 10:09 PM
    Teaching isn't hard at all! You get to take charge of the students,assign homework,and do whatever you want. But it is just those smart-mouthed kids,that can get to you. Good luck on the job! See you!
    im1brwfn Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2007, 05:08 PM
    I would suggest going to visit several different elemetary schools since education has changed and wha tyou remember as a child from elemtary school may not match what you see through older more matrue eyes.
    Emmalouise Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Jul 22, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Wow - if I had read these answers before I started teaching, I would never have done it! Teaching is a calling - If you are not called to do it, then don't even try. When I graduated from high school I wanted to major in education - at that time there were so many teachers if was nearly impossible to get a job. So I got a BS degree, did everything else I thought I wanted to do, and ended up back in school to get a Masters in Education. I love, love, LOVE my job. I've been teaching for 10 years and still wake up every day ready to go to work. Do I like ALL of my kids? NO! But when I'm in the classroom and I find that I have truly touched a child's life - sincerely made a positive difference for them - there is no better feeling. I have taught at both private and public schools - the private school had a much higher level of parental involvement. Good thing? Not necessarily. These folks thought they paid my salary and therefore could tell me how to run my classroom. There were, however, fewer discipline problems and no violence. The public school kids own my heart - they are the kids who honestly need guidance and support. There is a higher level of violence, drugs, and discipline problems in the public school arena, however it is where I will stay for the rest of my career.
    Mary Surette Posts: 43, Reputation: 0
    -

Aug 5, 2007, 07:25 PM
    I've been a teacher since I was 19 (got my degree early), went to law school and went in and out of the profession since. (I'm a single mom anyway so I have more time with my daughter.) I can tell you two things:

1. You have to love your subject that you teach. I love literature and writing as well as the beauty of literature and its genres.

2. You have to love kids because they will drive you crazy.

Unless you love 1 and 2, I don't see how you can deal with the politics of the administrators, the other teachers that don't teach and children that are out right disrespectful. Guess who gave me this advice? My dad, a retired chemistry teacher.

If you love what you teach, you can communicate your sincere admiration for your subject area and if you love kids, kids can "read" you and tell if you if you really care or you are artificial. When the kids respect you, you can discipline them and teach effectively.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Teaching [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to know if there are some cool internet pages about "English teaching as a second language". Thanks

English teaching [ 4 Answers ]

Hi One of my EFL students asked me: Why is it OK to say the dog of my friend, and my friend's dog... BUT NOT: Job's book and the table's leg? Thank you all for your help

Tips/Strategies on co-teaching ESL [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am a Canadian teacher in Korea, and this is my first time being exposed to co-teaching. I am required to co-teach with a local Korean teacher of English at a public primary school, with classes as big as 35 students each. I need some helpful tips and strategies on co-teaching, and I...

Teaching [ 3 Answers ]

Which fields or careers are most welcoming to former teachers or teachers seeking to transition out of teaching?

Teaching ESL in Argentina/Chile [ 0 Answers ]

I have ESL teaching experience in the U.S. and in Asia and am interested in finding a position in Argentina or Chile. If anyone can post information regarding web sites or other venues devoted to that topic, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

View more questions Search