Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Nov 28, 2005, 06:57 PM
    Auto response for emails
    Ok, guys, this is a quesiton someone has aksed me so I am passing this along to you and hope you can help.

I thought it would be easier to paste the question here:

What I want to do is called "step leads." That requires an ad piece to get people to respond to a 1-800 number where names are collected, or for people to go to a web site to collect names then you have a lead list to build interest for an informational product.

What I would like to do is have these responses automatically answered via auto-email, and then perhaps if they pursue the information by paying for the program, that it is automatically sent to them via email. I know it is possible, but don't know how to set up something like this. They tell me some web hosting sites allow it, others use software.
    I know outlook can do autoresponder but I am not sure if this is exactly how he would want to do it. Any suggestions?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 29, 2005, 02:50 AM
    There are lots of options for autoresponders, their ISP/Mail account may also offer this service.
    Here's a quick Google for some

These should give you some ideas to think about.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2005, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jduke44
    Ok, guys, this is a quesiton someone has aksed me so I am passing this along to you and hope you can help.

I thought it would be easier to paste the question here:

I know outlook can do autoresponder but I am not sure if this is exactly how he would want to do it. Any suggestions?
    Have him talk to his e-mail provider. Internet e-mail consists of 2 parts, the server and the client. When someone sends an e-mail its first received by a server operated by the e-mail service. The mail sits there until an e-mail client polls the server and downloads it.

Therefore ANY autoresponder needs to operate on the SERVER level, or the e-mail client needs to constantly be polling the server. Ergo, the best place to get this service is from the e-mail provider.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 06:15 AM
    In Outlook 2003 you can set a rule to reply to emails containing specific conditions (such as keywords, etc.) and have the server reply with an email template that you specify. In Outlook 2003: Tools > Rules and Alerts
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2005, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    In Outlook 2003 you can set a rule to reply to emails containing specific conditions (such as keywords, etc.) and have the server reply with an email template that you specify. In Outlook 2003: Tools > Rules and Alerts
    The problem with that, as I noted, is that its not the server that replies, but the e-mail client. Before a rule can be processed, the mail has to be downloaded from the server. Then Outlook can respond according to whatever rule is setup.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Nov 29, 2005, 02:23 PM
    I really appreciate your responses. I didn't even think about his ISP providing something like that. I will send this along for him to look at and consider. Between the ISP and the link Curlyben gave this should give him a start. Thanks guys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone else get emails like this? [ 12 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anyone else ever gets emails like this.. I find them annoying and somehow wrong. I am sure it's a scam. I almost wonder if some of it is a terriorist plot, due to the timing and the way it's handled. I would love some feedback as far as what you think and if possible who to...

Thanks so much for quick response [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a difficult time and I have been wearing the rings and I go back to work tomorrow. I will continue to wear her rings with pride and I thank all of you.

Auto and home insurance direct mail response rates [ 0 Answers ]

We would like information on actual or projected response rates for auto and home insurance direct mail solicitations for the past several years in the States. We are trying to factually identify direct mail response rate trends for the auto insurance industry, and map where our client stands...

Auto and home insurance direct mail response rates [ 0 Answers ]

We would like information on actual or projected response rates for auto and home insurance direct mail solicitations for the past several years in the States. We are trying to factually identify direct mail response rate trends for the auto insurance industry, and map where our client stands...

View more questions Search