Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    preciosalucy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Roof repair, should I file a claim when the house is no longer mine?
    I sold my house about a month ago. A year ago in Sept 06 there was a hail storm and the roof looked fine to us, so we didn't file a claim or anything because we thought there was no damage. We closed on our house and the new owners asked about the roof and we told them we thought it was fine, they had a choice of doing a home inspection but chose not to. Anyway, now their new insurance is trying to file a claim on my previous insurance to cover the roof because they said it was damaged. My previous insurance looked at it and said that yes the roof was damaged and that they would cover some of it. So, the thing is we already closed on the house and we had verbally told the owners we're not putting any more money or making repairs on the house and they agreed. I don't think I should be making any repairs on the roof. Not my problem anymore because the house is not mine. So, if I do decide to have the claim processed and get my money and if I choose to spend it on something else but the roof will I get in trouble? Would that be considered like fraud or anything like that? Or it doesn't matter what I spend the money on? I can also choose to have my adjustor not do anything with the claim, just close it out because I'm not the one that filed it and it was my insurance and I had chosen not to submit a claim.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 20, 2007, 05:29 AM
    Any insurance claim I have ever made the insurance company paid the tradespeople directly, no money changed hands through me. So what makes you think the insurance company is going to hand you a cheque for a roof repair supposing that you will have it done?
    sealedright Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by preciosalucy
    I sold my house about a month ago. A year ago in Sept 06 there was a hail storm and the roof looked fine to us, so we didn't file a claim or anything because we thought there was no damage. We closed on our house and the new owners asked about the roof and we told them we thought it was fine, they had a choice of doing a home inspection but chose not to. Anyways, now their new insurance is trying to file a claim on my previous insurance to cover the roof because they said it was damaged. My previous insurance looked at it and said that yes the roof was damaged and that they would cover some of it. So, the thing is we already closed on the house and we had verbally told the owners we're not putting any more money or making repairs on the house and they agreed. I don't think I should be making any repairs on the roof. Not my problem anymore because the house is not mine. So, if I do go ahead and decide to have the claim processed and get my money and if I choose to spend it on something else but the roof will I get in trouble? Would that be considered like fraud or anything like that? Or it doesn't matter what I spend the money on? I can also choose to have my adjustor not do anything with the claim, just close it out because I'm not the one that filed it and it was my insurance and I had chosen not to submit a claim.
    Fix the roof. Sleep better. That's why u have ins. Don't stick the new owners because did not know THEN. If you did know then u would have gotten it fixed. Do the right thing...
    DavidKB Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sealedright
    fix the roof. sleep better. thats why u have ins. dont stick the new owners because did not know THEN. if you did know then u would have gotten it fixed. do the right thing....
    I agree... fix the roof... I'm sure that the new homeowners will appreciate your gesture and who know they may want to give half of the cost of fixing the roof. I don't know if taking that money can be consider fraud but it's morally wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Camper Roof Repair [ 1 Answers ]

I need tips on replacing a rubber roof on a camper. The wood is rotten and the rubber is badly cracked.

New Roof on House [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone tell me what to look for in a roofer and what questions to ask the contractor before I have someone do the job? Thank you

File a claim [ 15 Answers ]

Dear everyone, I sold a book on half. eBay. The receiver contacted me saying the envelope arrived without the book, it was an empty envelope! He said he has contacted the post office and try to find out it they lost it. He then said didn't find it, it wan't post office's fault, it was...

Snake in roof of house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, How do you get a snake out of the roof? The snake only appeared this week but it has already killed two of our wild lorikeets. My family home is a two-storey with verandahs so the snake has a lot of places to hide. We are desperate to be rid of it. Any suggestions will be very...

How to repair a rotted roof rafter? [ 3 Answers ]

Can a damaged roof rafter be replaced without removing roof decking and shingles?

View more questions Search