Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HELPe-dawg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Knowledge over life? Which is more important?
    Many civilians have died in space accidents. Is the knowledge gained from space exploration worth the cost of human lives?
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Nov 19, 2007, 06:20 PM
    if you supply a method to determine the value of knowledge and human life I'll let you know. Until then that is a question that each person must answer for themselves.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Subjectively speaking, no I do not think so.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 01:50 AM
    Lives have been lost over much less.
    Cho Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Man can't resist conquering anything.Now he is trying to conquer space.and lives have been lost.The question is how much did we gain.I don't care losing life as long as it is not mine.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Apr 15, 2008, 11:32 AM
    You are not thinking in the long term. We are gaining much more than knowledge by exploring space. This planet will not always be here. If we don't find somewhere else to live, humanity will cease to exist.

Huge asteroids and other objects hit the Earth on a regular, though infrequent, basis. All of humanity could die in one of these disasters. And of course the Sun will eventually turn this planet into a burned-out cinder when it dies.

We either have a future in space, or none at all.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Please define what you mean by "many civilians have died in space accidents." Do you mean non-military people (the usual meaning), or do you mean people not connected with NASA or other government organizations?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 05:42 PM
    It is important for people(civilian or Military) to find an alternative to Earth. We are consuming and creating Biological and Chemical Hazzards very destructive to people and other living things. What ever problem we have on earth will likely follow to other Planets.
    Plus, there are worse things you could do with your life, than Explore Space.
    DuBas07 Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jul 23, 2008, 03:30 PM
    As far as I know no civilians have ever died in space. To the best of my knowledge everyone who has died in space has been of age and has been above average in intelligence, they made their decision knowing all the dangers. As JimGunther pointed out either humanity conquers space travel or we become extinct. Our sun is a star, it will eventually swell 3-5 times its current size and consume earth. If we can colonize mars well get about 8 billion years more. Then our sun will become a black hole and consume our galaxy. As you can see our time here on earth, in our galaxy, has an expiration.

Jul 23, 2008, 08:29 PM
    I apologize, didn't mean to beat a dead horse.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 01:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DuBas07
    As far as I know no civilians have ever died in space. To the best of my knowledge everyone who has died in space has been of age and has been above average in intelligence, they made their decision knowing all the dangers. As JimGunther pointed out either humanity conquers space travel or we become extinct. Our sun is a star, it will eventually swell 3-5 times its current size and consume earth. If we can colonize mars well get about 8 billion years more. Then our sun will become a black hole and consume our galaxy. As you can see our time here on earth, in our galaxy, has an expiration.
    Christa McAuliffe springs to mind as an example.

When the sun swells - it will grow too much larger than 3-5 times it's current size - it will actually swell to over 250 times it's current size. However we're still not sure if Earth will be spared or not.
    Our sun will not become a black hole. Where did you get that idea from? Even if it did, why do you think it would "consume our galaxy"?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 04:04 AM
    Right. Even a black hole I think is not powerful to swallo a WHOLE galaxy! Anyway, I heard that the sun will swell many times, perhaps will comsume the Earth, but anyway, the temperature will get so high that nearly everything will burn on Earth, and then, the sun will shrink to a dwarf star and eventually 'extinguish'.

If we can colonize mars well get about 8 billion years more.
    I think Mars is nearer to the sun, as far as I know. But colonising other planets, perhaps in other solar systems would help, especially if the sun there will be younger than ours.

Jul 24, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Christa McAuliffe springs to mind as an example.

When the sun swells - it will grow to much larger than 3-5 times it's current size - it will actually swell to over 250 times it's current size. However we're still not sure if Earth will be spared or not.
    Our sun will not become a black hole. Where did you get that idea from? Even if it did, why do you think it would "consume our galaxy"?

I was under the impression all stars with the mass of our sun and bigger become black holes at the end of their life cycle. I was also under the impression the heat given off by the sun will evaporate the entire ocean about mid-way through the process of going super nova destroying any chance of sustainable human life. I heard/read this several times most notable in a speech by a notable astronomer who has done a couple of specials on the discovery channel and has been on book TV a couple of times.(hes black, glasses, late thirties, good speaker, likes to talk about how he is friends with james cameron and had the shot of the night sky in the movie titanic changed to be historically accurate. I think he runs the national planetarium or conservatory.)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 04:34 AM
    Well, there are stars that end up into black holes, and others that do not. I don't know though how to differentiate but, I think that our sun will not end up into a black hole.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 05:37 AM
    I was under the impression all stars with the mass of our sun and bigger become black holes at the end of their life cycle. I was also under the impression the heat given off by the sun will evaporate the entire ocean about mid-way through the process of going super nova destroying any chance of sustainable human life. I heard/read this several times most notable in a speech by a notable astronomer who has done a couple of specials on the discovery channel and has been on book tv a couple of times.(hes black, glasses, late thirties, good speaker, likes to talk about how he is friends with james cameron and had the shot of the night sky in the movie titanic changed to be historically accurate. I think he runs the national planetarium or conservatory.)
    You need a star with about 100 solar masses or more to form a black hole.

You're right, human life would probably not survive the sun growing to become a red giant if we were to remain on Earth. Unknown008, Mars is further from the Sun, and perhaps a colony could survive there.

Are you thinking of Neil deGrasse Tyson? He's a fantastic speaker for astronomy and science.

Jul 24, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Y
    Are you thinking of Neil deGrasse Tyson? He's a fantastic speaker for astronomy and science.

Bingo.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JimGunther
    You are not thinking in the long term. We are gaining much more than knowledge by exploring space. This planet will not always be here. . . . And of course the Sun will eventually turn this planet into a burned-out cinder when it dies.
    As a biologist, I have to respond to this. It's very unlikely that our species will still be around when the sun begins to evolve into a red giant and envelope Earth a few billion years from now. Most species don't last millions of years let alone a billion or more. I think we'll be extremely lucky to have to deal with the problem of the Earth being burned up by the sun! :)

Jul 24, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking
    As a biologist, I have to respond to this. It's very unlikely that our species will still be around when the sun begins to evolve into a red giant and envelope Earth a few billion years from now. Most species don't last millions of years let alone a billion or more. I think we'll be extremely lucky to have to deal with the problem of the Earth being burned up by the sun! :)
    There also hasn't been a species with our intelligence before(as far as we know) but yeah were pretty likely to kill ourselves before hand.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 09:38 AM
    I grant your point! :)

But I wasn't making any specific criticism of humans. I was just saying that very few species survive that long. Smart as we are, there's no particular reason we should do massively better than average. Our penchant for destroying our own environment (and make incredibly dangerous weapons) doesn't help, but I was trying to ignore that and just look at it as a matter of how long species normally last.

After a major mass extinction, like the one that got the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, it takes just 5 million years to repopulate the Earth with new species. Species come and go over 1-20 million years, winking on.. . And winking off. That's a very short time in the context of billions of years, when the sun will run out of hydrogen and begin expanding... I don't think we'll be around to see that, let alone worry about it. I think that just as individuals have to confront their own mortality, we might want to give some thought to the idea that our species is mortal too.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking
    I grant your point! :)

But I wasn't making any specific criticism of humans. I was just saying that very few species survive that long. Smart as we are, there's no particular reason we should do massively better than average. Our penchant for destroying our own environment (and make incredibly dangerous weapons) doesn't help, but I was trying to ignore that and just look at it as a matter of how long species normally last.

After a major mass extinction, like the one that got the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, it takes just 5 million years to repopulate the Earth with new species. Species come and go over 1-20 million years, winking on . . . and winking off. That's a very short time in the context of billions of years, when the sun will run out of hydrogen and begin expanding.... I don't think we'll be around to see that, let alone worry about it. I think that just as individuals have to confront their own mortality, we might want to give some thought to the idea that our species is mortal too.
    I think we all, somewhere deep down, believe that humans are different. It's hard to come to terms with the fact that we're really not. (Hence religion, etc.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does our understanding of life in the universe affect our knowledge of ourselves? [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering what other peoples opinion is on this matter.

Is knowledge success in itself? [ 11 Answers ]

My question is what is the importance of gaining knowledge, without any materialistic interest, and just for the sake of gaining knowledge. If a very knowledge able person has no wealth, fame, power and any other materialistic plus point, still can he say that I'm successful just and just because I...

Judgement without knowledge [ 4 Answers ]

A judgement has my bank account frozen. Apparently the credit card company sued me after I moved and sent notices to my old address for 4 years. The debt collectors/bottom feeders told me the credit card company sent me a settlement offer in October 2006 to my old address. I never received any...

Asking for knowledge! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi thank you so much that U answered my quseting. So I have other questions hope I get answer to them. 1\ What is the advantage of using a low pressure switch to control Compressor operation? 2\ What should I do to set low pressure swith in order to maintain A cabint...

Knowledge repository [ 1 Answers ]

Hi can anyone tell me what a knowledge repository is. Can you tell me what one is and can you give me an example of one. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

View more questions Search