Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toby7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 04:49 PM
    IRS garnishment on my SSD
    Hi I just recently started receiving SSd monthly payments after waiting almost 4 yrs being disabled. The check I got for this month, November, I got no warning about, the IRS garnished some of it for back taxes on it. Now by them doing this, after I pay my rent, I have 54 bucks left to pay for food, medications and doctors, I have medicare but have copays for meds and docs, and they only pay 80 percent of most things, I have electric heat and gas which is expensive and phone and cable, I can't make it. Can they do this and take so much! This is my life I will never survive in 54 bucks a month. I am no longer eligible for food stamps, GA etc from social services/welfare. Please I need help thank you so much! I don't know what to do can't aFFORD A lawyer, thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Only the IRS can do this so apparently they can. I would check with Social Services for help.
    toby7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Thanks but what can I do to stop this I can't survive on what I get?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS Garnishment? [ 1 Answers ]

What percent of your paycheck can the IRS garnish?

I owe IRS backtaxes and I am on SSD [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I am receiving tax bills from the IRS... I am on SSD and that is my only income... What can the IRS do to me?

IRS garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently had my wages garnished from my second job. Can they do this, they took the WHOLE check. Also, is it to late to set up a payment plan. I have not called... I've been to scared to face the amount of money that I owe and have ignored all attempts. :confused:

IRS garnishment of wages [ 8 Answers ]

Can my employee garnish my bonus or commission check? If so, at what percent. I just had a garnishment on my wages of my bonus check and the check was for ($1377.00 gross) and all I received was $10.47 the garnished almost the whole thing. Is that legal?

State of Mich. Treasury placed lien on SSD for Cigarette Tax! [ 4 Answers ]

I was notified approximately a year ago that I owed approximately 250.00 in tax, due to my purchasing cigarettes online. The taxes in MIchigan on them are astronomical.. and being a single Mom, permanently disabled and with only SSD as income, you try to save every penny you can! I know...

View more questions Search