Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wildflower Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2003, 10:07 AM
    Bero recipe
    I'd like to make flapjacks with cornflakes instead of oats. Somebody told me the recipe is in a Bero cookbook. Can any of you help me? Wildflower
    heliotrope Posts: 57, Reputation: 3

Jun 17, 2003, 07:20 PM
    Bero recipe
    wildflower:

I've posted a request for your recipe on a favorite site of mine. I've requested a response via email and will post back as soon as I've received a reply.

Rose

Jun 18, 2003, 12:37 AM
    Bero recipe
    Thank you Rose, that is great!

Jun 18, 2003, 05:41 PM
    Bero recipe
    wildflower:

I got one hit, so far, for something called Auntie Ann's Cornflake Flapjacks from an Australian site: http://www.abc.net.au/midnorthcoast/stories/s732416.htm

They look more like cookies/biscuits than pancakes, but it may be what you're looking for. I'm pretty sure the SR flour is Self-Rising/Raising flour, which is what the Bero flour was. Also, 1 egg appears to be missing from the ingredients list. I don't see any liquid mentioned; perhaps the addition of milk (you'd have to experiment a bit) would give it the consistency to pour the batter onto a hot, greased griddle to make pancakes.

Hopefully you're familiar with metric/weight measurements, as opposed to volume measurement, so the recipe won't be problematic.

I'll look some more and post back if I find another recipe. Meanwhile, let me know if this works for you and I'll stop looking. Otherwise, I'm happy to see what else I can find for you.

Rose

Jun 18, 2003, 06:01 PM
    Bero recipe
    I did some more searching and found a recipe for Nutty Yummy Flapjacks here: http://yummyumms.blogspot.com/. This recipe has both oats and cornflakes.

I also received a little education in the difference between American flapjacks (pancakes/griddle cakes) and British flapjacks (cookie bars/biscuit bars).

Perhaps this IS what you're looking for?

Rose

Jun 19, 2003, 01:00 AM
    Bero recipe
    Hi Rose, I 'm looking for the British flapjacks. But these recipes are very helpful. Normally I wouldn't use flour for flapjacks, just oats. I tried with cornflakes instead of oats, but I got a sort of strange fudgy, chewy biscuits; not as I wanted them. That's why I asked on this site.
    I understand you're American? I'm Dutch.

Jun 19, 2003, 04:53 AM
    Bero recipe
    wildflower:

Based on what I've seen, the recipes I found must be what you're looking for, even if the ingredients aren't exactly what you were expecting.

You may want to try my favorite recipe answer board/search site. It's http://www.recipezaar.com/. When I posted my question there, I didn't know you were talking about a cookie-type recipe; as I'd posted, flapjacks are interchangeable with pancackes, or griddle cakes, in America.

You may want to explain that when you post. You could also try a search for cookie bars, with cornflakes as one of the ingredients.

Based on the inherent difference between oats and cornflakes, you probably won't get similar textures if you exchange one, for the other.

Rose
    Britwife Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2003, 05:01 AM
    Bero recipe
    Hi! My husband is a Yorkshire man and I am an American, we live in the US. I have a Bero cookbook with a flapjack recipe. I have made them once but they came out too chewy. I plan to try them again. Do you still need the recipe?

Oct 16, 2003, 05:10 AM
    Bero recipe
    Yes please, I'd love to get the recipe.

Alie
    rozrou Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2003, 01:51 AM
    Bero recipe
    I hope that you find this flapjack recipe helpful, it is my grandmother's and my children still love it when I make them flapjacks!

175g rolled oats
    75g sweet butter
    50g raw cane sugar
    2 tablespoons golden syrup
    A very small pinch of salt

Melt butter on low heat, add sugar + syrup and stir until dissolved, then add the oats and mix well. Bake in a greased baking tin , pressing down well, at 180C for +/- 20minutes until golden brown (if you over cook they will turn out rock hard!! ). Mark out bars when cooled a little and then place onto a rack to finish the cooling. These will keep in an air tight tin for about a week.

Enjoy.     Roz
    :P
    queentrollhunter Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2003, 07:22 PM
    Bero recipe
    Hi all.

You can get hold of a Be-Ro recipe book from www.be-ro.co.uk
    They are £1.25 each,
    Enjoying the cooking :)
    My grandma used these recipes for years and then passed them down to us grandkids and great grandkids. We all enjoy these easy and tasty recipes.
    I an from England :P

Dec 14, 2003, 05:18 AM
    Bero recipe
    Thank you, this is what I was looking for. I'm very pleased with this URL. :D
    john_r Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2004, 01:05 PM
    Bero recipe
    You're probably looking for Nutty Flapjacks that has 2oz of oats but 3oz of crushed cornflakes.
    4oz Margerine
    1 table spoon syrup
    4oz sugar
    2oz Be-ro S.R. flour

Melt marg and syrup, mix in dry ingredients, place on well greased swiss roll tin bake in mod hot oven (375F gas mark 5) for 15-20mins until just firm.

Cut into fingers whilst still hot, leave to cool in tin.

Hope that's helpful. From a Be-ro book 33rd edition

Jun 10, 2004, 02:41 PM
    Bero recipe
    Thank you John, this is the recipe I was looking for.

Wildflower
    Regina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2005, 08:06 AM
    Be-ro recipie
    Quote Originally Posted by wildflower
    I'd like to make flapjacks with cornflakes instead of oats. Somebody told me the recipe is in a Bero cookbook. Can any of you help me? Wildflower

Hi :)
    Have you tried looking on the Be-ro site. This is whee I find my favourite recipe for rock buns.

http://www.be-ro.com/

Regards
    Gina

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

English Bero Flour [ 9 Answers ]

Hello I am living now in Florida and I do not seem to be able to bake with the four. Could you tell me where I could get Bero or English flour to make a Victoria sponge cake. I have tried to make them with American flour but they are not very good Thanks so much, any advice would be welcome...

BeRo Recipe book [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I am new to this, but this is my question - I am trying to get hold of a recipe - Ruff Puff pastry - from the BeRo Recipe book. Or I would like to get my own copy of the recipe book. Can anyone help?

Looking for a recipe. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. We're looking for a cabbage recipe that we once had that was made with shredded cabbage, farmer's cheese, and some other ingredients. It was made in a frying pan and was very much like a pierogi filling. Does anyone have any idea how to make this recipe? Thanks. Dave.

Sausage rolls/Bero cookbook [ 3 Answers ]

I am married to a Yorkshireman who has lived in the US for two years. I am desperate to have a recipe for sausage rolls and any other "Yorkshire" recipes. I also have tried to find a way to get a Bero cookbook with no success. Help please!

Bero Cookbook [ 5 Answers ]

I have been making christmas cakes for years using the Bero cookbook recipe. I recently moved house and lost the book. Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the book or the recipe

View more questions Search