Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nativeways Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Wiring a well relay
    I have a submersible pump system with a Square D pump pressure control box. It is a 1/2 hp 3 wire pump with a control (well relay) box between the pressure switch on the pressure tank and the well motor itself (submersible, 135' down).
    I am installing this system myself and don't know how to wire the pump relay box. In the box there are 5 terminals: Line 1 and Line 2 , then the 3 wires yellow, red and black, which go to the well. My issue is with the Line 1 and 2 recepticles. I don't understand which wire goes where - Is L1 black or L2 black? Does it not matter? (no telltale silver/bronze colored screws as with a light switch)

The 3 wires coming from the well motor are wired to the same colored wires within the relay box, I am assuming.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 05:54 PM
    L1 and L2 are standard reference designations for either hot of a 240 V system and will be typically Black or Red and there is 240 V between them. While it makes a lot of sense to keep the designations and colors within a piece of equipment. Functionally it doesn't matter in this case, but wire RED to L2.

In your fuse box there is a mix of black wires. Some going to L1 and some going to L2.

If you happen to use a white/black/bare to wire the system from the fuse box, then the white should be taped the color red at both ends.

Nov 21, 2007, 08:53 AM
    My system is solar with 115v only. In the breaker panel only white and ground are interchangeable. From here the wire goes to the pressure switch, and then from the switch to the controller. (Franklin capacitor) From what I am getting though L1 and L2 are interchangeable none-the-less.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 11:15 AM
    I think the neutral usually connects to L2. I am confused. What works the coil of the relay? Perhaps you need to post back more details such as the brand and model of the relay and pump. Is the pressure switch the standard Square D 2 pole switch commonly used with 240 volt pumps? Does your panel only have one hot leg?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 12:07 PM
    What is the make and model number of the controller?

Nov 22, 2007, 10:41 PM
    This is a Franklin Controller/relay. I don't have the model number but it is sized for 1/2 hp pump and 115 volt houshold current. It has three ports for the 3 wires coming from the pump, then the two Line ports labeled 1 and 2. It seems like most people are familiar with a 240v system, but this being a small solar electric system I sized it to run on 115v AC.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 05:43 AM
    Did find this:
    Pumptec, Overvoltage Protection, Pump Tech, Pumptech, Well Protection
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Here is from the Franklin website. Is one of these your controller?

Franklin Electric - Control Boxes

Nov 23, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Yes, this is the interior wiring diagram

http://www.franklin-electric.com/Man...2_qd_relay.pdf

Thanks all for your interest and help!

Nov 23, 2007, 06:45 PM
    I take that back, there is no "run capacitor" separate from the start capacitor. But it is essentially the same diagram.
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 04:48 AM
    OK according to the diagram, L1 gets the black 120 volt feed, L2 gets the white neutral from the 120 volt feed, and the black,yellow, and red from the pump are all labeled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermal relay kit wiring to electric baseboard [ 3 Answers ]

On the baseboard heater are to wires line 1 and line 2 , I connected the main power supply to these wires but my thermal relay kit now has to be wired to this, I have a yellow, blue and black wire and white and brown wire that connects to a low voltage thermostat. How do I connect all...

Fan relay wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How do I install a fan relay swithc on my gas furnace so if I want it to the fan will run continuously?

AC relay [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Magic Chef forced air furnace/ac (gas heat, elec ac) Model #G8A75DC42-17 and the fan stays on even after the ac turns off. I had an ac man out and they said the relay was bad but the unit is older and they could not get replacement parts for it. When I look at it, there is a little black...

Wiring for motor relay in AC [ 10 Answers ]

We have a Rheem gas furnace/central AC system. The blower motor went out. We finally found a new one. However... I was stupid and did not draw the wiring diagram when I disconnected the old one. Now I can't seem to figure out how to rewire everything. There is a relay switch on the side...

View more questions Search