Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SMORGAN Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 01:22 PM
    '03 Nissan Frontier Misfire
    I have 2003 Nissan Frontier w/ 4cyl. Auto. The engine shudders under light acceleration at low rpm. If I press the pedal on down or let off completely it seems to smooth out. I am getting a code for " cylinder # 1 misfire". I replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor with no noticeable improvement. My mileage has went from 26mpg to 19 and I noticed the tail pipe is sooty black. Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 19, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SMORGAN
    I have 2003 Nissan Frontier w/ 4cyl. auto. The engine shudders under light acceleration at low rpm. If I press the pedal on down or let off completely it seems to smooth out. I am getting a code for " cylinder # 1 misfire". I replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor with no noticeable improvement. My mileage has went from 26mpg to 19 and I noticed the tail pipe is sooty black. Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Misfire on Cylinder # 1. You've addressed the secondary ignition system.

I'm going to say the # 1 fuel injector is sticking open. This will need to be verified by whoever is going to do the repair(s).

If the fuel injector doesn't fully close, more fuel will be allowed into the engine, resulting in a ruff-run/misfire. And the unburned excess fuel will show up as soot at the tailpipe.

A good professional cleaner, properly done, may free up the injector. Don't try to use the stuff that goes into the tank. The only thing that cleans is wallets.

If the injector is sticking, and it doesn't come clean, it would need replaced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Production possibility frontier [ 1 Answers ]

In a country, if an Energy company plans to start new coal production , then what affect it will actually bring to the production possibility curve of that country ?

Production Possibility Frontier [ 1 Answers ]

Workers Employed Consumer Goods Machines 0 0 0 2 10 30 4 20 55 6 30 ...

Production possibility frontier [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a hard time thinking how to graph this and I was wondering if anyone can help me out? Queens University has a theft problem. Bicycles and stereo equipment have been stolen from many campus locations. To reduce the extent of the problem, the campus police have hired 5 new officers. The...

Production Possibility Frontier [ 2 Answers ]

Hi good people, can someone please explain to me why the PFF is concave to the origin but not straight.

View more questions Search