Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murphyl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2005, 08:31 AM
    Yikes! A/C comes on; No heat (no green wire either)
    I'm replacing an older Honeywell thermostat with a new programmable Noma/UPM model THM501. There are 4 wires - red, yellow, white and blue. On the Honeywell the blue wire was on the "G" terminal - all worked well. I wired up the new one the same way. However, although the new thermostat shows the heating mode, the A/C comes on and blows cold air - not something desirable with snow on the ground. Can anyone help? Much appreciated,
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2005, 08:58 AM
    Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors. It may be wired to have the A/C control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan. Digital or programmable thermostats may need the blue wire connected to them.

You must identify and match functions between the thermostat and furnace. To the furnace, it doesn't make any difference how the terminals are marked or the color of the wires. If both follow the convention above, it is easy. Otherwise instructions or a schematic are a big help. As above the G terminal usually has a green wire and switching power to it runs the fan only. I have to run now. Post back if you need more help figuring it out.
    murphyl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2005, 09:28 AM
    Thanks Labman. Wow, it seems complicated. I had to reinstall the old thermostat (with the blue wire on the G terminal) when the new digital programmable one didn't work. I'll try to sort it out tonight.

You wrote "Digital or programmable thermostats may need the blue wire connected to them" - which terminal would you connect the blue wire to the thermostat if there is no readily apparent connection - The new thermostat has Y,RC,RH,W,G,C,H2, and H1. I'm stumped as to why the old thermostat functions perfectly with the blue wire on the G terminal but the new one won't...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2005, 10:57 AM
    One side of the transformer is common to all the devices controlled by the thermostat. Often it is labeled B or C and connected with a blue wire. Before connecting the blue wire to the C terminal of the thermostat, make sure it is connected to the common side of the transformer at the furnace.

Have no idea why the old thermostat used the G for heat. Before you can connect the wires to the new thermostat, you must figure out what they connect to at the furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Wire a Thermostat to blower fan for alternate heat source [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all I just built a plenum around my coal stove and I need to wire in a stat , limit switch to run a blower fan . Thanks Steve PS I have all the parts off and hot air oil furnace.

Gound Moles YIKES [ 4 Answers ]

I have a GREAT BIG Mole problem. They are invading my yard at a very fast rate. It seems every morning I look outside they have built another condo. I have been reading different ideas... But really WHAT works... Human urine.. doggie poo... Murphy oil soap, hot peppers... Yikes... I don't want...

How to wire a heat pump & varialble air handler [ 2 Answers ]

Please help how to wire a Goodman 13seer 1.5 ton heat pump and 2.5 ton variable speed air handler to a EWC BMplus 3000 Zoning control system. Thanks, Alo:confused:

5 Wire 24v AC/Heat System [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a home. Had no thermostat. Putting in Honeywell CT3500 Programmable. Have Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, White. AC works but no heat. Thermostat came with R jumpered to Rc. How do I wire this to get AC and heat? Thank you. I need to also explain that I did put the appropriate wires...

Wire colors for heat pump thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

While installing a programmable therostat, two of the indentification stickers fell off the wires. The wires colors are blue and brown and I don't want to hook them up wrong. The "ports" are E and C. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

View more questions Search