Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LPfix Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Reposition P-trap, waste line to accommodate new vanity shelf
    Hi,

It seems that this has been a common problem for many. But the problems that are posted have not exactly been identical to mine, thus I am still on a quest to find a favorable solution. I am remodeling my half bath on the first floor. The new vanity has a fixed shelf measuring about 15.5 inches up from the floor tiles. The waste pipe runs horizontal along the wall to connect to the p-trap in the existing setup (pedestal sink). The pipe measures about 18.5 inches up from the floor. Thus, the bottom bend of the p-trap will not clear the shelf unless I cut an oval through the shelf. I want to avoid this and instead raise the waste pipe. From reading others' similar, but not exact, scenarios, it seems that it is OK to raise the waste pipe hole if the pipe were running vertical. Also, in that scenario, the vertical pipe also served as a vent. This is not the case with mine (My pipe is horizontal and the vent is not readily visible). I can raise the pipe by connecting a 90-degree elbow and an extension to another 90-degree elbow to eventually connect with the p-trap. Those who have suggested this type of solution were advised that installing 90-degree elbows was just asking for clogs and that the 90-degree elbow that stemmed out from the wall at the new height when connected to the p-trap would form an s-trap. Again, inadvisable. What if I installed a 45-degree elbow further back along the horizontal waste pipe to bring it up to the new height. Is this OK plumbing? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

LPfix
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 19, 2007, 06:33 AM
    I really wish I could be more positive but you are faced with three options, and none of them are good. 1) You can notch the shelve to accommodate the trap **or** 2) you can take out the wall, cut into the vent stack and raise the sanitary tee and drain line to the correct height,**0r** 3) build a illegal "S" trap. Now I can't advise you to install anything illegal but if I had to choose it would be between door number 1 and 3. Good luck, Tom
    LPfix Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Thanks speedball for your comments. I take it option number 2 would mean that since my waste pipe is running horizontal, and I don't readily see the sanitary tee, that I would possibly have to take down a lot of wall (possibly up to 5 feet or so is my guess of where the sanitary tee might be located) to find the sanitary tee, and raise the horizontal drain by drilling through several studs in the wall back to my sink?

LPfix
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 20, 2007, 05:24 AM
    Option #2 would have you opening up the wall from the stubout to the stack. Then cutting into the stack and raising the sanitary tee, drain arm, and stubout up to the desired level. This would involve taking out the vanity cabinet as well mas the wall. While this option would be most code friendly it is also the most expensive and difficult. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vanity Sink trap [ 4 Answers ]

I'm installing a bathroom sink with very little clearance to place the trap below the waste pipe. Will this present a problem draining water or causing gas fumes? There will also be extra bends involved. Please refer to my sketch. Thanks. Jay

New vanity: trap won't reach wall drain stub [ 3 Answers ]

We replaced a vanity top and sink with a new vanity top having an integrated sink. The new sink is offset horizontally about 1 inch from the old one. Turns out the old sink was at the limit for trap reach; the new one is over further still, so it seems impossible to line up the j-bend portion...

Options for Dishwasher Waste line [ 1 Answers ]

In the past, I have always hooked up the dishwasher waste line to a sink drain waste "T" or to a garbage disposal "T". Is there an approved way to connect it directly to the 2" drain line that the sink is connected to? Or should I stick with what I have been doing. In the current situation,...

Can I vent from [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning to install a bathroom in a small dormer room on the third floor of my old house. The room sits between two plumbing stacks. The original one with cast iron pipe and a newer one with ABS pipe. I wish to locate the toilet and shower stall on the wall with the cast iron stack. I...

Vanity drain line and water supply [ 5 Answers ]

Tom, I have a couple of questions for you. I am installing a double simk vanity. What is the standard for the drain line coming through the wall, as far as how high off the floor, and how far through the wall should it protrude for the trap adapter etc. same thing for the supply lines coming...

View more questions Search