Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Can I go back and refile for 1999 tax year?
    My (now ex) husband and I adopted our foster son on Feb. 1st, 1999. He had already been living with us since Sept. of 1997. My husband and I separated in June of 1999, with our son going to live with me. When it came time for me to file taxes, I filed separately but never did claim my son. Why, do you ask? My husband told me that IRS told him I could not, since he was adopted and we had gotten some state assistance with the adoption costs, due to our son's special needs. I do not know why I bought that from him, but I did not question it.

I did not work from 2000 to 2005. In 2005 I returned to work and when it came time to file, I did claim my son. Have claimed him since. My question is, can I go back to the 1999 taxes and amend them? To claim my son? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks for any help given.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 06:25 PM
    It is too late to amend the return and get an additional refund, as there is a three-year statute of limitation for claiming refunds.

Sorry!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Thank you very much for answering. I appreciate you taking the time.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 20, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

It's been almost a year, can I get my baby back? [ 27 Answers ]

I am a birthmother and I suffer from depression and lost my husband 2 years before I placed my baby for adoption. I was so depressed and I was not on medication at the time I placed my child for adoption. What are the odds that I can get my child back. I am know on medication for depression and...

I am in chapter 13 and need to refile in order to save my home. [ 1 Answers ]

I filed a chapter bankruptcy in march of 2006. I have paid my plan payments. I fell behind in my mortgage payment and the mortgage company filed for a relief of stay. This was granted and my home is to be sold on nov. 20, 2007. I have tried contacting the mortgage company and can not get anyone to...

Last year State tax refund and do I report it this year on the state tax form ? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a state tax refund last year from New York. Must I include that amount as income on my New York return this year?

Refile 8843 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student in US since 01/02/2002 and I have never left this country since that day of arrival. I forgot to file my Form 8843 last year, for 2005. Should I 1. refile 8843 for 2005 together with my 1040NR-EZ and 8843 for 2006? Or

View more questions Search