Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    applehead2007 Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2007, 09:35 AM
    How to stop being angry?
    I am a female in her 20's and I think I have an anger problem. Recently, I started anger management voluntarily. The thing is, I feel like this anger inside is deeply rooted and I don't know if I can ever really control it.

I am not violent, but I am very critical of others. My boyfriend broke up with me in large part due to my anger. After a few years, nothing he did was good enough for me. I am really scared I will continue this pattern in other relationships. My father has a real anger problem and he has not been able to hold a job for any length of time. He blames everyone, especially my mom who is a SAINT and works 60 hours a week to support us. My anger at my dad has come back strong since I had to move home after my ex and I broke up. I can't stand how my dad orders my mom and the rest of us around yet does nothing himself and only makes excuses. I find myself exploding at the drop of a hat about this.

Don't know what else to do. Feeling guilty because I can't control this rage and hostility. I am terrified I will end up like my dad. Anything else I can do? I plan to move out as soon as I get a job out here, but my ex was my rock who helped me through so much and now it's just me. How to be stronger without relying on someone else?? How do I not turn on them when things don't go well in my life??
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Keep up with the anger management classes. Aside from that, a lot of it is just a matter of changing your own mindset. You can't control what happens to you but you can control how you react to it. Take a look back at your ex-boyfriend. When he did something that made you angry you chose to become angry at it. That doesn't mean your anger was justified. Maybe it was and maybe it wasn't. If it wasn't then you have to take full responsibility for it ; you can't blame the boyfriend or anyone else. You also have to take full responsibility for how you responded to the behavior that made you angry, whether your anger was justified or not as that was your choice. Just like your boyfriend chooses his behaviors, you choose yours. It does sound like you've become a carbon copy of your father and it sounds like you both have difficulties where personal responsibility is concerned. That being the case I'm not at all sure that continuing to live with your parents is a good thing. Maybe you should see if there's a way you can swing it financially to live elsewhere even now, before you get a job. Perhaps you need to give yourself some positive self-talk and try looking at things from multiple perspectives.
    Caralyn Posts: 61, Reputation: 13

Nov 18, 2007, 10:49 AM
    I'm a redhead with a fiery temper to match. I'm a great believer in positive thinking. I also do relaxation and meditation. This all helps a lot. And I just wondered if you had ever considered relaxation or meditation. I agree with s_cianci, you can't control what happens to you but you can control how you react to it. Taking full responsibility for your own words and actions gives you much more control over them. I agree that living with your parents may not be helping your situation. Take control of your own life, be the boss of it and you may be surprised by the outcome. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Angry at everything [ 6 Answers ]

Heya people... I went on year 11 camp (got back on friday) And now I'm in a really really bad mood During the camp my perceptions of a chick I know changed and now I really like her a lot and then liking her really messed with my head and my mood and I got really really sad and low and now that's...

Why must I be angry? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a question. Is it normal for guys to try to test women in relationships? I seem to have an issue, that eventually leads to a breakup because the guy always wants to see what I'm like when I'm angry. Is it wrong to want a peaceful relationship 90% of the time? I know I can be kind of...

Should I be angry at her? [ 5 Answers ]

Apperently my friend likes my ex boyfriend and she didn't tell me this. I think the only person that knows is our other friend, the one she spends most of her time with, because they live in the same street. The reason why I'm angry is beacause of she's always asked me if I still like this guy and...

Why am I so angry with him [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all I have had this huge problem that I can't seem to let go of. Let me first tell you the basis of it all. I had been in a serious long term relationship with a man for nearly 4 years, I was living with him at the time and we were due to get married. But unfortunately the relationship ended...

Angry [ 2 Answers ]

Dear who ever I will not tell you my name. For some reason I am always feeling :mad: with someone but I don't know who.

View more questions Search