Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wskrs Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2005, 08:09 PM
    Cast iron drain connection
    Hi, we have a house built in the ealy 50's. We've torn out a small tiled shower and want to replace with a new one that doesn't leak. We have a 2" cast iron drain pipe sticking 1 1/2 inches above the house slab. What is the best way to connect a new two piece drain before we build or install new pan (which ever is easiest in regards to the drain)
    Thanks
    wskrs
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 27, 2005, 06:36 AM
    "What is the best way to connect a new two piece drain?"
    If by two piece drain you're referring to a flange type shower drain pictured below then it must have a lead and oakum poured and caulked joint. However there's a plastic out on the market that replaces the lead and if you're interested I can post the site where you can check it out.
    Regards, Tom

Nov 27, 2005, 09:11 AM
    Plastic replacement for cast iron
    Thanks for your help.You mentioned a plastic replacement ,what is and where can I get one? Will it work with tile?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 27, 2005, 10:56 AM
    The plastic replaces the lead in a poured joint. This is new since I retired and I've never tried it. Click on www.herchem.com/specs/plastic_seal.pdf
    To check it out. Regards Tom

Nov 28, 2005, 03:18 PM
    Plastic to c. iron connection
    Thanks for the info. I checked out the Plastic Seal as you suggested it looks like it might do the job,but it seems this product is only sold to those in the trade. I can't find it for resale anywhere. I guess our next step is a professional . Thanks to all you experienced out there this has been a very informative resource.
    wskrs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Join pvc drain into middle of existing cast iron [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I am planning to move the sink in my bathroom. I've already figure out (it's pretty easy) where to put the copper pipes with hot cold water. Right now I am trying to figure out the best way to do the dranage. There's a cast iron pipe about 4' in diameter, that runs from...

Installing a PVC shower drain to cast iron [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - I was wondering if you could tell me what type of adhesive I would need to attach my PVC drain to the cast iron pipe, below the shower. I have no plumbing experience and am trying to do this myself to save some $. Thanks! :) OJ Bean

PVC to Cast Iron Drain Mating [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to mate a new 2" PVC drain into an existing 3" cast iron bell that is part of the 4"` cast iron vent stack. The previous arrangement was 2" galvanised into the bell, sealed with oakum and lead. I looked at the Fernco thick rubber gaskets but the cast iron bell seems a bit out...

Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search