Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 06:29 PM
    Since I am assuming you cannot get to the light, you need to get two 3 wire cables one from each 3 way , to the 4 way, which ever one you want to be the 4 way.

I can do something if you get a 3 wire cable from 3 way to 3 way as you have marked it.
    thuffner3 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    The expert has made themselves readily available to answer my questions.

Nov 18, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    The expert has made themselves readily available to answer my questions.

Nov 18, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Hi Russel,
    Here is the new layout using a 3-wire routed down through the basement.
    I've indicated the switches as A, B, & C. They can be whatever is necessary at this point.
    What do you think.

Peace
    Neil

Well the image didn't turn out clear. Let me send another one.
    Attached Images

Nov 18, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Try this one.
    Attached Images

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 06:35 AM
    You could install wall transmitters at the 3 locations to control light and Fan from the 3 locations.

There is another option, that would be X10(Powerline carrier), They make a wireless 3 way switch
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 05:49 PM
    I hope this makes sense and you can understand it.

This is one way of connecting it so the 3way-4way-3way switches control the light, and the single pole controls the fan.

A draftsman I am not.

Cap the old 3 wire cable between A and the fan/light box.

Be sure the 4 way switch is oriented properly, usually the top screws are one set of travelers, the bottom the other.

Be sure to find the Common on each 3 way switch, usually are dark or black screw.

What do you think?

Nov 19, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Russel, This looks like I can do something with it. You went to a lot of trouble for this.
    Thank you. I didn't get the chance to make the drop this morning so I don't get to hook anything up tonight. But what you've given me certainly looks like it will work.

Thank you
    Neil

Have any ceramic or stone tile needs?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 10:10 AM
    I've never understood the purpose of controlling a ceiling fan from more than once location. A light, yes. But a fan motor? You only need one switch IMO.

Jan 22, 2008, 02:05 PM
    That's exactly what I had in mind Ceilingfanrepair.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 03:02 PM
    You confused me, because of "I also have a 2-wire from first box to ceiling box, but I wanted to use this for the light option on the fan. "

So you were trying to get a 4 way switch for the fan light, and a single switch for the fan?

I'm awfully late to this party. Did you get it figured out?

Jan 23, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Morning Ceilingfanrepair,
    Yes I did get it figured out. You'll see a couple of drawing files in this posting.
    One of the guys here drew up a configuration that I think will work.
    Unfortunately I will have a couple of dead wires in the box's that my drive another homeowner batty.

Thank you for the follow up.
    Neil

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch issue, Light stays on! [ 8 Answers ]

Im having a problem with a light switch... the light stays on regardless of the position of the switch. I have swaped the switch out with a new one and still have the same problem. The switch controls to recessed lights over a fireplace. In the box on the wall there are several wires: 2 white...

Change Pilot Light Switch with a Single-way Switch [ 1 Answers ]

It's worth noted that I am a complete novice, so please be patient with me. I want to replace an existing pilot light switch with a single-way lighted switch. The existing setup has four terminals (red wire, black wire, white wire, and ground wire). The red wire goes to the left, the black wire...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Light switch hot then light went off [ 1 Answers ]

We have a standard ugly fluorescent overhead fixture in the kitchen. This morning the light just went off. I went to see if the bulb had burned out and the light switch itself was hot. What could cause this? I had not noticed the switch ever getting hot before. It wasn't really super hot but...

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off [ 4 Answers ]

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off but the first one does Worked until I swopped the roses. Suspect that didn't do something right when putting them back. Up to now - left bulb out but need to get it to work now.

View more questions Search