Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Nov 26, 2005, 05:40 PM
    Cute chick right here!
    I wnt my daughters to learn to learn to defend themselves for when the time comes they may have to. Is 5 and 6 yrs old okay? Is 29 too old to learn?
    Katiy Posts: 56, Reputation: -3
    -

Nov 26, 2005, 10:21 PM
    Never too old
    I don't advise starting kids too young into it, although many may disagree. It is good to take at any age.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2005, 05:37 AM
    Self Defense
    Hi,
    I notice that you are posting many, many questions here at this site; we like to see them. Are you also rating anyone for all the answers you are getting? Many of us appreciate knowing if our answers are good or not, by rating them.
    Now to your question about 5 and 6 yr olds.
    Martial Arts teaches self respect, and respect for others. It teaches how to get along with other, as well as how to defend yourself against those who might want to harm you. It's not Offense, but Defense. Also, being with other persons taking the classes teaches getting along with others, and having fun at the same time.
    My grandson is 8 yrs old, started at 6 yrs old in classes. He loves it. He also is in the advanced classes in school, loves football and baseball. He has his Red Belt, and has one more belt to go before trying for his First Degree Black Belt. It might take him a couple of years to complete this First Degree.
    I can highly recommend your start both your daughters in classes, and you as well.
    The only disadvantage to starting older is if one is 80 yrs old or so! Too much bending for someone that old.
    Please enroll your daughters and yourself. I know you will like it, and it will give all three of you a chance at really building self-esteem... not saying you don't already have it.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2005, 06:12 AM
    5 or 6 years old is not too young. Let them try it and see if they enjoy it. If they do not like it or do not enjoy it, I would not force them. As far as 27 or 29 or 40 or 50. It is never too old to learn. It would actually be a good family idea for everybody to be joining together. Learning together if it is for all ages welcome which some classes allow.

Joe
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Nov 27, 2005, 07:06 AM
    5 or 6 is not too young IF you watch out which martial arts you choose for them at such age. If you choose to let them practice Aikido or Tai Chi at such age, they will most likely not have any success and will be very frustrated and start hating martial arts, but if you let them practice Judo (which I would very much suggest) or Karate or Kick Boxing, they might like the whole martial arts idea, because these are arts that are suitable for children.

Another thing to watch out for is what you want them to get out of a martial art. If you want self defense, I would not consider anything out of Ju Jitsu (not Brazilian Ju Jitsu - it has too much ground fighting - choose some sort of Ju Jitsu which has a lot of stand-up techniques) and some brutal kick boxing (like Thai Boxing). When they get older and you want them to learn some weapons (I'm not talking about Katanas and sticks 3 meters long), have them practice Kali (also known as Arnis or Escrima). They will learn knife and short stick (length of one's arm or a bit shorter) skills, which might prove VERY useful in their lives.

It is important to really learn about martial arts and choose the right art for what you want them to practice. I'm not saying Aikido is not good for self-defense, I'm just saying it's not good for self defense if you're not practicing it for more than 10 years.

With Ju Jitsu and Thai Boxing combined, you can get very good self defense skills, both punching/kicking and grappling.

Also, bear in mind the world we're living in today, and what are the situations one might get in trouble. Would you ever carry a Katana with you around the city? Is there any need to learn Katana skills for self-defense? Would you ever carry a short knife in your pocket? Is there more chance that you will get in trouble in a place where you will have enough space to throw round-house kicks, or in a small (close to the wall) places where you could only punch and grapple? Think of such things when you consider a martial art you want to get involved in.
    Martin Harrison Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2006, 11:53 AM
    m. Arts
    I started Judo a long time ago I never attained dan grade ( didn't like ? Can't remember what they were called- set moves )but I was one away from it , if I remember - is it 1st Kyu - Brown belt in uk.
    I think the discipline and the respect for others that is instilled in you is a great benefit to those that partake and would recommend it for any body- although I'm 48 now- I would love to get back on the mat, however I don't think I'm up to it.

I would imagine that any martial art is based on a similar type of etiquette and this can't be a bad thing.

Having said that on a recent visit to a local dojo I was amazed at the judoka,s not rei-ing ( bowing )as they went on the mat. It was different before!

M
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2006, 10:57 PM
    Over the hill
    My 5 year old is in classes now, a lot will depend on the school. At the early age it is not near the same type of training they will get latter but it is a start for them.

Now 29, OK, while it is over the hill and almost ready for the nursing home, you may be surpirsed to find many senoir citizens like yourself learn. Some light training is even done in senior citizen centers for the older people to use for health.

And by the way, this (much over 29) grandfather still has his moves from the old days. May not be Bruce Lee but I still enjoy it.

By the way, if that is really your photo posted by your name, you don't look 29 by any means

Jan 6, 2006, 05:24 AM
    Ha ha. I feel about ready for the nursing home sometimes chasing these kids around. The young lady in the picture is the gothy lead singer of the band Evanesence. I think I spelled that right. I have to get a recent picture of myself on here. My dad has one of me that's a few years old but Ive changed my look and don't really look like that now. Wow I didn't know about training seniors in the centers. Then when some thug tries to mug them they can whup some butt. Cool.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2006, 07:13 AM
    Seniors
    Yes, many do yoga and other things also to help bring balance and peace. Some of the self defense is first for exersice and second to help older people protect thierself. Elder abuse is a rising problem in america.

Ok, they may not have it in the nursing home but many senior citizen centers ( places in town that offer programs for seniors) offer them.

My wife and I do a singing program at different centers and retirement homes all over the state of TN

Jan 6, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Everyone I think should know how to protect themselves. Im a can and I usually wrk in nursing homes. It is unfortuante that people are abusive of their elders. I never thought Id witness something like that but I walked in on another can beating on a poor man that couldn't stand up without help. Sure he was hitting at her but he was not in his right mind so she should have backed off and gotten help. Lets just say that if I hadn't had 5 nurses holding me back girl would have got tore up from the floor up. I want my kids to learn it. I believe they would benefit greatly from it and I think It would build up themselves esteem and self discipline. My daddy knows that Judo or what ever its called and he's had to use it a couple times recently actually. But I don't want him to teach us because he also has a bad back and had a heartattack a couple years ago and Im afraid he'll get hurt.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 6, 2006, 08:17 AM
    Martial arts!
    You mean that's not you on your posted picture? One thing you must understand about the martial arts is that it is not the fancy moves that count but the attitude that comes with the training and workouts<Having earned my black belt in the 70's I know for a fact that self-decipline, and personal growth are the main things that are streesed along with the physical! To know when to use the moves that are being taught is more important than the moves themselves,and I think young people can gain a great amount of knowledge in how to act and when to act!The age we learn these things-the younger the better,what matters is that we learn!:cool:
    ncfree2rhyme Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nymphetamine
    I wnt my daughters to learn to learn to defend themselves for when the time comes they may have to. is 5 and 6 yrs old okay? is 29 too old to learn?
    It's never too late to learn. There's a senior citizen in my Tae Kwon Do class and she can beat me in running, sparring, pattern proficiency, and basically everything else. 29 is pretty young anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cute? [ 27 Answers ]

Sup friends, I noticed that guys love saying the word "cute" to girls. Why is that? I mean, cute as in what? Babies are cute. Puppies are cute? What the hell do you all mean, for real now! Why can't you say " hey, you're f-ing hot" or even "you're alright" but "cute" don't cut it. What do you...

Friends or cute guy? [ 8 Answers ]

All right so my friends don't like this guy Miles that is hella hott because he smokes weed. But I like him a lot-even though I've only seen him once. So I called him(my friend had his number) and asked him if he wanted to hang out. He said "sure, I'll pick you up tonight. we can smoke some weed."...

From a Blonde, but find these cute! [ 17 Answers ]

Seven degrees of Blonde! `4*:-.,_,.-:*4`4*:-.,_,.-:*4`4*:-.,_,.-:*4`4*: FIRST DEGREE A married couple were asleep when the phone rang at 2 in the morning. The wife (undoubtedly blonde), picked up the phone, listened a moment and said "How should I know, that's 200 miles from here!" and hung...

Anyone know any cute/fun Recipes for Kids [ 2 Answers ]

:) :) Hey all I was wondering if you know any fun Recipes for Kids,, (Websites will work too) Thanks

View more questions Search