Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Nov 17, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Candle Mold
    A long time ago I saw a TV show where they took an object from around the house, lets say a small statue, put it in a box with the top open, poured in a liquid rubberized material, let is set up, took the whole thing out of the box, cut the rubberized material down the middle (not completely down the entire block), split the rubberized material enough to pull the statue out, made a hole in the top, put it back in the box and poured hot liquid candle wax into the hole created in the top along with a candle wick, let that set up, took it out of the box, split it open and pulled out a candle wax statue.

It appeared that this rubberized material would last through several candle moldings, maybe a whole lot.

I would like to find, cause I have never found in years of looking, a liquid material like this that would get semi hard or even completely hard as long as it is not heavy. Something like what Hollywood uses to make rubberized masks with in the movies, MI:3 is an example, Planet of the Apes. Silicone??

Lightweight, moldable, durable ANYTHING that fits this description. Mix up a liquid and it sets up to some solid form, soft or hard but light and not expensive, I need lots of it please.
    rawpotatoeater37 Posts: 244, Reputation: 8

Nov 18, 2007, 10:50 PM
    Well I don't know if this would help you in the way that you need to use it, but epoxy resin could be used for something like this. You know those tube things you see in the hardware store that when you mix the liquids from the two tubes, the mixture hardens in like... 5 minutes? It's possible...
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Nov 19, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Not a bad idea but I will need like 20 gallons of what ever I use, and a budget of only a few hunderd dollars.

Nov 19, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Rio Grande is the most complete suppliers to the jewelry industry in the world. Our jewelry making supplies are available online or in our printed catalogs: Gems and Findings, Tools and Equipment, Display and Packaging, and Enamels. is an amazing jewelry supplier and should have what you're looking for for cheap. You'll need the base and then the thickener to do this and each bottle is not very expensive (I'm sorry I don't know the exact value)

Then just looking around online, I'd say you'll probably be able to get just what you need within your budget.

Make sure to notice how long your epoxy cures (hardens) and I would suggest covering the object with vaseline or something to prevent it from sticking to the epoxy.

Nov 19, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Wow sorry about the long link. It's just r I o g r a n d e . Com minus the spaces. I'm having trouble with getting it not to be with the long title hah!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Melted candle wax [ 8 Answers ]

Hiya can anyone help me I lit a candle and the melted wax has spilt on my carpet has anyone got any idea of getting it off the carpet its gone hard!:confused: :confused:

Physic and Candle light [ 1 Answers ]

A 7·cm tall candle is placed 150·cm from a lens with a focal length of +50·cm. Note: all distances and heights should be strictly positive numbers... the type and orintation of each image is asked for separately. (a) How far from the lens will the image be? cm. (b) How tall will the image be? ...

Candle Wax in Carpet [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to get candle wax out of carpet? I have light tan carpet and dark brown candle wax spilled on the carpet at some point. I discovered it when moving furniture, so I'm not sure how long it has been there. :(

Candle wax [ 1 Answers ]

Removing candle wax from painted wood

Colored Flame Candle [ 1 Answers ]

How to get colored flame from liquid fuel ?

View more questions Search