Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emm Lura Posts: 84, Reputation: 15

Nov 16, 2007, 06:16 PM
    I'm becoming manager and I'm afraid my coworkers will hate me
    I work for a third party cell phone company that has kiosks in random truck stops. My area manager just promoted me to sales manager from senior sales representative. I'm really worried because I really love my coworkers but I'm afraid they aren't going to like me anymore. I mean, I really clicked with this girl that was working here, which is weird because I really don't get along with most girls. She was a real sweetheart though but it kind of messed up the schedule because she couldn't work weeknights because she going to high school at night. Well anyway, I had to work every night during the week and I HATE second shift! Also, her numbers weren't very good. Well she sent me a text message one day saying that she was so stressed out that she was going to quit. I asked her if that was really what she wanted to do and she said no that she can't. Well I was trying to give her a heads up and let her know that she might want to start looking for a new job anyway. I was only doing this because I was positive that my area manager was going to fire her in a few days. Well she got pissed and she walked out leaving the store empty and I had to come in a few hours early and work late to get the store some points. I was only trying to help her out because I know what it is like to not have a job and be looking for one for so long.

Now I don't want my other coworkers to hate me but I don't want them to walk all over me either. Now I know how to show some back bone but sometimes I feel like a total B***H. How do you draw the line between being too nice and too mean?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Don't be rude or punish people when they don't deserve it, and they have no right to hate you. And if they don't respect your position as the manager and recognize that they need to be disciplined or whatever when they do something wrong, that's their fault.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 08:17 PM
    One thing you will learn in a quick hurry is being buddies with your employees does not mix well. You cannot be a peer any longer. The relationship changes. You have employment policies - follow them. Don't waiver for one employee if you are not prepared to wavier for all. What a mess that will create! You don't need them to like you as much as you need them to respect you. Honest. They can respect when they understand you are fair, listening, understanding, but also are going to reinforce your companies rules and regulations. Hope you got some basic HR training with the promotion. You stick with the directives you are given. It would also not hurt for you to journal. I tell that to many people. I say that because if anything would ever happen, you have it recorded. Dates, times, people, what was said, what you were told to do and by whom, etc. You never know when such a document can be used to back you up.

Congratulations on the promotion and the best of all to you.
    Emm Lura Posts: 84, Reputation: 15

Nov 17, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Thank you both. I just needed that to let me know what I need to do. My area manager says, "Emily, these people aren't your friends." I think I know what he means now. I think they may be acting like they are my friends so they can take advantage of me. I've known for a little while that he may be promoting me and so have they. The first time he asked, I declined because I was under way too much stress and because I was worried that I would have one of my bipolar mood swings on them and it would be uncalled for. Now I have my mood under control (thanks to lamictal of course ha ha) and I'm not under near as much stress as I was. I think I'll be a great leader and motivater to these employees and if not, at least I can say I tried.

Thanks again.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Good luck to you. Just keep your focus. Hugssss.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Nov 17, 2007, 01:53 PM
    I'm sure you will be a great boss and congrats on your promotion! If you knew ahead of time, these people could have too. I've been in your shoes before, and it can be hard when people you once really liked are mean because you are doing your job. Remember that if they are only nice when they want something, and are mean when you give them constructive criticism, they aren't really your friends. Do what you have to do as a boss. The people knew what was expected of them when they joined the company. If they are unable to meet the requirements, don't feel bad if you have to let them go. Business is business. Good luck!
    jcmanna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emm Lura
    I work for a third party cell phone company that has kiosks in random truck stops. My area manager just promoted me to sales manager from senior sales representative. I'm really worried because I really love my coworkers but I'm afraid they aren't going to like me anymore. I mean, I really clicked with this girl that was working here, which is weird because I really don't get along with most girls. She was a real sweetheart though but it kind of messed up the schedule because she couldn't work weeknights because she going to high school at night. Well anyway, I had to work every night during the week and I HATE second shift! Also, her numbers weren't very good. Well she sent me a text message one day saying that she was so stressed out that she was going to quit. I asked her if that was really what she wanted to do and she said no that she can't. Well I was trying to give her a heads up and let her know that she might want to start looking for a new job anyway. I was only doing this because I was positive that my area manager was going to fire her in a few days. Well she got pissed and she walked out leaving the store empty and I had to come in a few hours early and work late to get the store some points. I was only trying to help her out because I know what it is like to not have a job and be looking for one for so long.

Now I don't want my other coworkers to hate me but I don't want them to walk all over me either. Now I know how to show some back bone but sometimes I feel like a total B***H. How do you draw the line between being too nice and too mean?
    Set clear expectations on what is expected out of your employees. Reward success and handle negative situations with positive possibilities and alternatives that they could've made to make the situation better!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He's afraid of everything [ 3 Answers ]

I've been dating this guy for about 6 months now. He's 30 and I'm 19. At first we got together because my ex kicked me out and He let me stay at his place for about a month. I got an apartment and he now lives with me. We got really close and became a couple. We had sex a few times a week and for...

Coworkers jealous of me [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Laura. I am doing accounting job. There are three other girls in the accounting office except me. I work so hard. And I do anything I can. I always say"no problem" and always finish anything earlier than others. So my manager gave me "excellence award" in last December. Other...

Cheating coworkers [ 1 Answers ]

Why would a married guy who's been flirting with you for over a year,and who does everything possible to show how much he cares about you ,and want to be with , and who says ask me anything you want to know about me I will tell you,and he has,would get so offended when he starts talking about his...

Flirting coworkers [ 8 Answers ]

There is this married guy that has been flirting with me about a month after he was hired.I'ts been a year and a half since He's been hired, and He's still flirting with me.The prolem is I've fallen in love with Him,and I Don't know how to get rid of these feeling since I see Him everyday.Also. His...

Why am I so afraid? [ 2 Answers ]

A few months ago I visited a site where a large historic ship was docked. I have been on ships several times, for cruises, and never had any issues,however just looking at this one ship frightened me to the point I could not look at it. Today, I was walking my dog, and a large CAT...

View more questions Search