Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tleone6764 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Modification for child support
    Im thinking of filing a modification for child support.. I was divorced in 2002 and back then I took under guidelines for child support.. I now want to file to be within guidelines.. I also know he makes a lot more money now. Are they are laws or anything I should know.. Ive read somewhere about there needing to be a 20% difference.. Is this a difference in something that changed for me or can it be 20%more he now makes in income?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2007, 10:47 AM
    You need an attorney to file for the modification. So start shopping around and get the attorney's advice.
    tleone6764 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    I was told I do not need an attorney for a modification.. I can simpy go pro se and file by myself
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Nov 16, 2007, 11:14 AM
    The court order that I have for my son states that I can take my son's father back to court every year to take a look at child support and modification. Look to see what it says in your court order. If it states nothing about that, then find out what your state guidelines are for it. I know where I live (WI) a parent can take the other parent to court every 3 years for modification (unless otherwise stated in the court order) Also, there are no guidelines (as far as I know) about there being a 20% difference or anything else for that matter. If he makes more money, child support will go up. If he makes less, child support will go down. It doesn't matter if he got a $.25 raise or a $10.00 raise.

I have taken BF to court 2 times for modification in child support. I have never had an attorney either of these times. I filled out the paperwork and filed with the court myself. It's actually pretty easy. At court, the judge will take a look at the BF check stubs to determine child support then.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tleone6764
    Im thinking of filing a modification for child support..I was divorced in 2002 and back then i took under guidelines for child support..I now want to file to be within guidelines..I also know he makes alot more money now. Are they are laws or anything i should know..Ive read somewhere about there needing to be a 20% difference..Is this a difference in something that changed for me or can it be 20%more he now makes in income?

What State? In some States child support is by statute, not circumstances - a certain percentage per child. As his income increased he should have paid you more. Not everyone is honorable and so sometimes you just have to keep going back.

When you say you took within guidelines - are you referring to child support by statute?

I am not aware of any State that won't allow you to go back into Court if circumstances change. If you haven't been back since 2002 you shouldn't have any problems.

However - knowing he makes a lot more money and proving it are two different things. That's where an Attorney comes in. You always run the risk of offending the Court if you make allegations you cannot back up.

Nov 16, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Sure you can file on your own, but you know the saying about a person representing themselves has a fool for a client.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Sure you can file on your own, but you know the saying about a person representing themself has a fool for a client.

To say nothing of getting what you pay for -

My concern in any of this "do it yourself" representation is that you don't know all the ins and outs, the Court in many cases cannot advise you and you shortchange yourself.
    nniki Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 03:18 PM
    You need an attorney to file for the modification. so start shopping around and get the attorney's advice.

U don't have to get a lawyer for this you can do this yourself at support enforcement they give the paperwork, fill it out and turn back in to them and they change it if they feel its needed, can take awhile for the change though, lawyers only speed things up.

Hope that helps

Nov 24, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nniki
    U dont have to get a lawyer for this you can do this yourself at support enforcement they give the paperwork, fill it out and turn back in to them and they change it if they feel its needed, can take awhile for the change though, lawyers only speed things up.

Hope that helps
    Laws and filing rules vary from place to place. Not every place has a "support enforcement" agency. Most places require a petititon in Family Court. And anytime you need to go to court, you should have a lawyer to guide you.
    Gigolo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Sure you can file on your own, but you know the saying about a person representing themself has a fool for a client.
    Ahem... Try to have some insight to the background of the Atty. I had an atty. Who took me down the pike for $$$ only to see him give my ex-wife everything she wanted and then the b*tch had the nerve to ask MY ATTY. For a job in his practice??

I have a lower respect for the legal profession in MA than ever before be it Real Estate, Criminal, Family Court... Since they keep me in limbo with a lingering and continued 'Contempt of Court' charge hanging over my head I can't get a modification because of that... Two kids have been emancipated and I am still paying for 3 kids when in fact only one is legally on the rolls...

Massachusetts family court system is a cancer :mad:

Nov 27, 2007, 09:30 AM
    And your bad experience should not be the condemnation of an entire group. That laws are complex and often convoluted. It often takes a lawyer to unravel this and protect one's interests.
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigolo
    Ahem... Try to have some insight to the background of the Atty. I had an atty. who took me down the pike for $$$ only to see him give my ex-wife everything she wanted and then the b*tch had the nerve to ask MY ATTY. for a job in his practice???

I have a lower respect for the legal profession in MA than ever before be it Real Estate, Criminal, Family Court... Since they keep me in limbo with a lingering and continued 'Contempt of Court' charge hanging over my head I can't get a modification because of that... Two kids have been emancipated and I am still paying for 3 kids when in fact only one is legally on the rolls...

Massachusetts family court system is a cancer :mad:

It is not possible for your Attortney to "give" your X everything she wanted. It's either by mutual agreement or Court Order.

Why is a contempt charge "hanging over your head"?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support modification [ 1 Answers ]

My original divorce agreement includes child support based on my ex's salary from 9 years ago. He refuses to disclose his current salary since I have asked for an increase and I directed him to the website which describes how it is calculated. Is there any way to obtain his current salary without...

First I would like to know when the support law changed in Indiana from 18 to 21? Also how do you file to modify items when you live out of state? I really don't want to have to retain an attorney if at all possible. I am trying to keep things cordial between my ex and myself. If they go away to...

When my husband divorced his first wife, she was awarded spousal support of $400 a month for 44 months and $400 for child support (one child.) This was based on her making $45,000 a year, while he made $86,000 a year. She had three children from a previous marriage, receiving child support for...

Child Support Modification [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is still in college and in our divorce agreement was to have support until she reaches 22 if she is a full time student Massachusetts now has guidelines to the age of 23 when the child is a full time student. Is it possible to ask for a modification to the original agreement?

Child Support Modification [ 2 Answers ]

I am seeking a modification in my current child support payment. My current payment of $674 is created a financial hardship for me. All my utilities and rental payments are last monthly which cause a greater hardship due to the late fees. I have another child for which I have a voluntarily...

View more questions Search