Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etalmar Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Nov 25, 2005, 02:08 PM
    Win98SE Wallpaper Display Properties Problem
    I decided to change my wallpaper for the holidays and I noticed that the area where the wallpapers are listed ["Display Properties"/Background tab - "Select an HTML document or a picture"] as well as the small Display dropdown menu [where you can tile, center, or stretch the wallpaper] are no longer working?

Whenever I try to click in either one of them, nothing happens. I can still change wallpaper on my desktop by right-clicking any image and selecting "Set as Background", but I can no longer choose images through the "Display Properties"/"Background" tab, nor can I tile, center, or stretch them.

Is there any way to correct this? It seemed like it was working fine a while ago, although I haven't changed my wallpaper for a few weeks and just noticed this problem today.

Here's my OS info... Win98SE, 500 MHz Athlon, 128 MB RAM, 3dfx Voodoo3 display. Thanks for any suggestions. :)

** UPDATE -- 11/25/05 **

Already fixed the problem myself! :cool: :rolleyes:
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 26, 2005, 04:15 AM
    Can you tell us how you fixed this problem for the benefit of others who might be experiencing it?

Nov 26, 2005, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    Can you tell us how you fixed this problem for the benefit of others who might be experiencing it?
    I updated Spybot S&D http://www.safer-networking.org/en/ yesterday and in that update there was a new detection for the "Windows.ActiveDesktop" crap/sleaze-ware.

After running Spybot and double checking (with RegEdit) to make sure that the changes remained after thoroughly cleaning my system, my desktop returned to normal. I have most of my ActiveX controls either disabled, or set to prompt, Flash/Macromedia ads disabled by using "No!Flash"... http://www.bbshare.com/noflash/ and I never log on without WebWasher Classic 3.4 enabled... http://www.cyberguard.com/products/webwasher/... so the sleazeware didn't compromise my PC as deeply as it could have.

Here's the log report summary from Spybot...

Windows.ActiveDesktop: User settings (Registry change, fixed)
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop\NoHTMLWallPaper !=W=1

Windows.ActiveDesktop: User settings (Registry change, fixed)
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop\NoChangingWallp aper!=W=0

:)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2005, 05:49 AM
    Fixed
    Hi,
    Thanks for telling us what you did. I didn't realize that SpyBot could fix this, and that it was spyware of some sort.
    I was going to suggest using the C:/>scanreg /fix. cause most of these types of issues is with the Registry.
    Thanks again.
    roofing philadelphia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2005, 04:08 AM
    100% original desktop free wallpapers for computer desktop.
    outlook Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 12, 2005, 04:27 AM
    Re:
    Free and quality wallpaper images for your computer desktop in many categories such as animal wallpapers, 3d, movie, nature and many more

Dec 12, 2005, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by littledan1
    thanks man I just did it and it worked! thnks a bunch!
    You're welcome littledan1. Glad I could help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Os win98se [ 4 Answers ]

Help! Unable to start windows, keeps going to C prompt, I have lost my floppy rescue disk. Can someone help me with this?

Thinkpad 390x display problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have just bought a thinkpad 390x old and cheap I know but I'm a student whenever there is a lot going on on the screen it gets all garbled, when I turn down the amount of colours from the display settings it helps but the problem does not go away I have tried to download drivers from the ibm...

Wallpaper Problem [ 1 Answers ]

:(... Hi... I have the Windows 2000 Professional. The Internet Explorer and I am on AOL... The pics that I have chosen for my wallpaper (all from the movies.. my hobby), are piling up on my Desk Top and will not rotate or change. I have many of them. They are forming a collage on my Desk Top. I...

View more questions Search