Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrtnha10 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 10:42 AM
    how do I replace skimmer gaskets?
    Hello all,
    Our vinyl pool liner was replaced about 9 months ago ( in-ground 15' X 36' ) and recently, we noticed that the water level drops by about 3 to 4 inches every week. I suspect that the leak is around the skimmers since the water level or leak seems to stop by about an inch above the skimmer plate bottom and not at the pool light which is lower that the skimmers. I plan to replace the skimmer gaskets before searching for a leak in the bottom somewhere, or exploring a leak in the plumbing to the new pool pump. My local pools store has them for $10.00 a pair for each skimmer, but advised me of the risk of tearing the vinyl liner and look up a pool professional instead.

My question is: is this possible, I mean the liner must have settled already in nine months? If I go ahead, do I need 2 gaskets per skimmer? I would be happy to hear from anyone with any experience in doing this?
    Thanks, martin
    The Pool Guy Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2007, 10:42 AM
    I suggest doing a dye test first. Using a turkey baster and some red dye... inject the dye around the skimmer face plate and watch for it to be pulled in. also do this around the other fittings that are under water. Around the inside of the skimmer and fitting in bottom is another good place to check. Also around the steps. Good luck!
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jan 16, 2008, 04:56 PM
    STOP RIGHT THERE!

First of all, nine months later and your pool is losing water - you need to call the company that installed this and get them back today. Give them the benefit of the doubt at first, it could be a loose screw or other accidental item. If they do anything other than apologize for the inconvenience and return and repair the problem - drop them.

This will mean that they are unprofessional and most likely completely unqualified to be installing liners in the first place, which is likely why you now have a problem. Let's look at your options in further detail:

I will say, that most home owners are not able to accurately locate a leak point in their pool. That being said, from what you have described, I am inclined to believe that the leak is in fact coming from the skimmer. It is impossible to say for sure without further in person testing, but there is a pretty good chance it is your skimmer. Here is the problem:

What if it is not just the gaskets? I mean, why do you assume it is a gasket issue in the first place? Are the gaskets clearly and visibly installed incorrectly? This can be hard to tell since some skimmers need two gaskets and some only need one. That, and also the fact that one of the gaskets is behind the liner where you can only feel is through the liner to see if it is aligned correctly, and this is tough to do.

My professional opinion - get the most experienced pool professional you can find and MAYBE you will be able to save the liner. This is why:

Most vinyl liner installers do not know what they are doing, and yes, you can quote me on that. I would be willing to bet that the problem is with another more complicated issue that happens to skimmers.

The skimmer itself has a mounting hardware piece inbedded in it to accept the screws that go through the faceplate when installing the liner. Sometimes through wear and corrosion these "plugs" come loose and spin instead of grabbing when you tighten the screw through the faceplate... big problem. A good liner installer will find this problem early in the renovation and apologetically tell you that your skimmer requires extra work.

An unexperienced vinyl liner installer will likely find this problem on the final day that you see them when they cut out the skimmer ad start up the pool (and get paid)

They might have left you with this problem since they did not know how to fix it and just hoped you wouldn't notice the leak. Because for sure it is going to leak.

As a last check before calling a pro, you can let the water level drop and then search the waterline around the perimeter of you pool looking for obvious damage. Be sure to scrutinize stair gaskets if you have in wall stairs as these are also a notorious leak point.

If nothing, call a pro for a dye test and inspection of your skimmer. You could try your plan yourself but what if you drop the water level, take the faceplate off, your liner instantly distorts and stretches and you can't get the new faceplate and gaskets back on. Or what if you manage to get them back on only to discover the screws are stripped and the plug is spinning. Or maybe your installer broke a screw off in the skimmer and glued a screw head in the hole to hide the problem... I see it all the time.

Since your liner is so new, do not assume any rick when looking at this repair. Go to your original installer or failing that, a real professional.

I hope this information is helpful.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools & Artificial Rock
    604-421-8429
    1-888-267-0802

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flange too low used gaskets [ 6 Answers ]

I read another post that spoke about the toilet flange being about an inch below the new tile floor. My problem is similar to that. We put in a new tile floor that elevated it by the wonderboard 1/4", mortar, and tile. I borrowed a book from the library, okay quite a few books. One of the books...

Skimmer plate fell [ 4 Answers ]

I have an oval pool that has a place to put skimmer on either end of pool. The plate that covers the side not in use fell down between the liner and outside of pool. Do I have to take the whole pool apart to get it or can I just remove top railing and reach down? Also if I don't retrieve it, what...

Head Gaskets or crack block [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Taurus that was overheated I had water in my oil and water came out of the exhaust Cracked Head or Block.

Skimmer Pumps and Basement Flooding [ 2 Answers ]

In an earlier post, an answer was given to a questioner who was having trouble with basement flooding: I have a problem with small amounts of water coming into my basement after heavy rains, and one of these "skimmer pumps" sounds ideal; doesn't anyone know where to get one? A Google search...

View more questions Search