Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdesalis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 09:02 AM
    High CPU usage and LUCallbackProxy
    Hi - I have a 2.3GHz XPS laptop and its usually very fast. Recently it has frozen for a minute or longer, with 100% CPU usage which registers as "system idle process" and will not respond. I understand that System Idle Process is supposed to work in the background when CPU is not needed, but clearly it is interfering. One high usage among the processes, at these times, is LUCallback Proxy. I think this is part of Symantec Norton antivirus etc (I have Norton 360). How can I diagnose and fix the freeze-ups? Would appreciate help!
    c_starrs Posts: 64, Reputation: 5

Dec 24, 2007, 06:31 PM
    The process "LUCallback Proxy" is used for updating symantec products, there are normally multiple of these processes running all at the same time as each module of Norton 360 (i.e antivirus, firewall... ) are all checked for updates seperatly. This process is renound for bringing the most top spec comps to a stand still. In this case the process may simply be malfunctioning, try completely removing the product and doing another install.
    fretts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Version 10 never did this. I concur with c_starrs above, except that I would stop where he says completely removing the product and not going any further. EVERYBODY is suffering from this latest "gift" from Symantec who can't ever seem to get it right no matter how many times they throw out an update. I have the absolute latest version available, was posted >yesterday< and after 3 hours of install, reinstall and deploy clients, I am right back where I started, it is no better at all. Try another company altogether, I think Symantec has worn out their welcome.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPU usage at 100% [ 20 Answers ]

My computer recently started to be very slow. I have a 800 mghz pentium. I'm running XP. I did a complete virus scan with Norton and found nothing. When I look at the processes, I can see the CPU is running at 100% most of the time. There's no specific file that is using all the power. Why is...

Asus p4s800d-x motherboard on 4gb ram and high cpu usage [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to ask can the p4s800d-x run on 4gb of ram perfectly fine? the max number of rams for this motherboard is 4gb of ram I'm currently running on 1gb (2 sticks of 512mb ram) another question I want to know is why is my computer's cpu usage getting pretty high around 60-100% most of...

CPU Usage? [ 2 Answers ]

I am running Windows XP, my ram is 1GB, my CPU usage has just now spiked to 100% and seems to stay there. I have just ran a anti spy ware and removed spyware found. But my CPU is still running at 100%. I have noticed in the Windows Task Manager under process running I have approximately many...

Cpu usage [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I have recently gotten a new computer.. it was about about 2 months ago actually And everything with it has been perfect,but this morning it just got slower... I don't mean internet speed just like.. opening prgrams or installing things slower... I opened the task manager and its using...

CPU Usage @ 100% [ 3 Answers ]

Every time I log onto the Internet, my CPU usage goes from like 2% to 100%. Once the page loads, it dies back down, but then when I click a link and try to load another page it goes back to 100%. Plus, the Comcast logo spins, then stalls, then spins, then stalls until the page loads. It never...

View more questions Search