Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    berrysweetncgurl Posts: 166, Reputation: 19

Nov 15, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Big fat Speeding Ticket in NC
    I live in Davidson County in North Carolina... today I was going down the road, OK flying down the road and I got pulled by a state tropper. He wrote me a ticket for speeding 72 mph in a 50 mph zone. He said I have to appear in court for the ticket. I am 24 with no points on my license and no points on my insurance. This is my first speeding ticket since I was 18. Does anyone know my best option? How should I go about handling this ticket with paying the least I can? Someone told me about a prayer for judgement? Anyone have any info? :confused: Thanks in advance:eek:
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 15, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Some states, (I am not knowledgeable of NC law), might allow you to go to a "driving school" and that usually only lets you avoid paying the fine... it usually does not keep points from being placed on your MVR (DMV's motor veh driving record) nor does it change the fact that one is ticketed for speeding (or wreckless or careless driving... in some states the law allows for a more serious ticket if one is speeding 15-20 mph over the posted speed limit) which usually results in your having to answer a question on your insurance application or verbally if you are asked... such as "do you have any moving violations in the last 3 to 5 years? As to the PRAYER FOR JUDGEMENT that you mentioned... like I stated, I am not familiar with NC law.
    ttara81 Posts: 161, Reputation: 9

Nov 15, 2007, 11:10 PM
    I live in NC and I have not heard of the driving school. I had one speeding ticket and I got a lawyer and he had it dropped to improper equipment. I paid the lawyer $190, but this covered his fee, plus the court costs. The ticket is not against my driving record nor against my insurance. If I were you, I would get a lawyer. You may pay about $200 (lawyers may vary), but you won't have any points against your license and your insurance won't go up. This may seem like a lot, but trust me, you'll pay that much, or more, after your insurance goes up and the points go against your license. I did not have to show up in court either... I just paid him, and it was over. As far as prayer for judgment... I'm not real sure about that... you may want to research that... but I would still just get a lawyer to be totally safe. Good luck!
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 16, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Ttara81, Reason your ins didn't go up is that you were not convicted of speeding only improper equipment which in the state I live in (AL), usually does not cost anywhere near the $190. You paid to your lawyer. I do understand you didn't have the hassle of going to court and true, your atty was successful in having the viol lowered from speeding to improper equipment which may have been difficult for you, a lay person, to have done in court. But I think we need to point out to BERRYSWEETNCGURL that even though she may pay to hire an atty, the atty may not be as successful as yours.
    T-A-T11 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by berrysweetncgurl
    I live in Davidson County in North Carolina....today I was going down the road, ok flying down the road and I got pulled by a state tropper. He wrote me a ticket for speeding 72 mph in a 50 mph zone. He said I have to appear in court for the ticket. I am 24 with no points on my license and no points on my insurance. This is my first speeding ticket since I was 18. Does anyone know my best option? how should I go about handling this ticket with paying the least I can? Someone told me about a prayer for judgement? anyone have any info? :confused: Thanks in advance:eek:
    Well try to convince them that your speedomitor is broke and DON'T SPEED ANYMORE!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Well again I have never gotten a ticket in AL ( did live in Hamilton AL for a while) but in the areas I have lived on your first ticket, you can nromally get out of it by going to traffic school.

If that is not a option in AL, I would hire an attorney to try and get it reduced or dropped.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Most of the time, they will allow you to plea down to a lesser charge. This is usually so they don't have to call in the officer to testify.

Nov 16, 2007, 10:16 PM
    Bondman,
    I see what you're saying... I'm just glad I did what I had to do... I didn't mind paying the money, as long as the insurance didn't go up and I didn't receive any points. One thing about it though... I sure learned my lesson!
    berrysweetncgurl Posts: 166, Reputation: 19

Nov 17, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Oh yeah I have definitely learned my lesson too, no more lead foot for me!! I talked to a lawyer here about getting it reduced down to improper equipment and they said they couldn't do it unless it was 18 mph over the speed limit or under that 18mph over... looks like I know where all the Christmas money is going this year :( but I did the speeding now I have to pay... I don't think I can convince them that the speedometer is broke... but I did just get the car last Friday and it was very windy the day I got the ticket.(I wonder if that affects anything) either way I am going to go and meet with a lawyer mon morning... he charges $200 plus court cost $120 plus the fine... eeeeeeeek! I don't know about that sum of money
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Nov 17, 2007, 02:56 PM
    My son racked up too many points on various vehicle violations (speeding, failure to come to a complete stop, etc) and was in danger of losing his Driver's License. He went to driving school and they dropped 5 points off his record. (This was in Georgia)

Nov 17, 2007, 07:59 PM
    berrysweetncgurl,
    You will be receiving a lot a mail from different lawyers who have saw your case and are trying to get some business... take a look at the letters they are sending you... a lot of them will list their prices and that will help you see who is cheaper... I didn't have any problem... I just went to my local lawyer, paid him the $190, and that was it... no questions asked!. I think I was going 70 in a 55... it may just all depend on which lawyer you get... call them all! Look them up in the phonebook, or just wait on some of the letters they will be mailing you... this one lawyer that's charging you $200 plus another $120 sounds a little too expensive... keeps your options open and try to find someone cheaper! Good luck to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrong date written on speeding ticket! [ 9 Answers ]

I recently got pulled over and was given a speeding ticket. I was definitely speeding and did not give the officer a hastle. The date of my ticket was 11/27/06 and written on the ticket was 11/27/08. A few days later the sent me a new ticket with the date corrected. Does anyone know if my ticket...

Speeding ticket [ 16 Answers ]

I was stopped for speeding in Bonners Ferry Idaho. My question is I asked to see my speed on the officers radar and he said "the only way you will come back to my car is in handcuffs so no I do not need to show you the actual speed" I then asked him again and he said that he does not have to show...

Speeding ticket [ 4 Answers ]

I got my first speeding ticket today. I'm not sure if it means anything, but the officer misspelled my name. I was woundering if there is any law that states I can get out of paying since my name is spelled wrong.

Speeding Ticket in Houston [ 2 Answers ]

I got a speeding ticket in Houston and would like to fight it. Please advice some useful website or advice. Thanks.

View more questions Search