9 64.29%
  • Don't Really Care

2 14.29%
  • Against the Policy

3 21.43%
    GoUniforms Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fushichouryuuko
    I'm research a topic and would like to generate a bunch of arguments for data collection.

Policy:
    Students in public, K-12 schools must wear school uniforms.

Background:
    - Uniforms are uniquely designed for each school. (Think Japan)
    - Students must purchase their uniform from the school.
    - Students must wear their uniforms on school campus at all times. (Strict)

Instructions:
    1.) Please state whether you are for or against the policy by labeling ‘PRO’ or ‘CON’ in the title box. In rare cases, you may label ‘NEU’ in the title box if you don’t care about the policy.
    2.) State clearly the support for your answer by introducing reasonable arguments. If you can, please provide statistical data and resource locations.

Rules:
    - Think logically and be considerate for both sides of the debate before you answer.
    - Please do not use answers such as “School uniforms are dumb!”, “School uniforms do nothing to improve the school environment.”, or any other personal taste, absolute remarks along those lines.

I’ll generate a few arguments so you can get an idea of how this will work. Don't let the confusing numbers prevent you from displaying your opinions.

CON 1
    School uniforms are expensive because they are designed specifically for that school.

PRO 1 to CON 1
    School uniforms would save parents moneyand time because they don’t have to do the traditional ‘back to school’ clothes mass shopping for their children.

PRO 2
    In the morning, students would not have to make up their minds on what they should wear for the day.

PRO 3
    Students would not be embarrassed or harassed because of their clothes if their parents were not able to buy them the newest fad.

PRO 4
    Gangs use clothing to identify themselves and generate an uneasy atmosphere.

CON 2 to PRO 4
    Why not simply remove the gang members from the school and place them in an alternative learning environment, like a boot camp?

PRO 5 to CON 2
    School administrators have no power to place any student in a different learning environment if they have not caused any problems. Even then, if the problems are minor, they are given detention and still allowed in the school.

PRO 6
    Students’ social standing would be based more on individual character and less on economic status.

PRO 7
    Some students use baggy clothing to hide weapons or drugs.

CON 3
    School uniforms have no use outside of school.

PRO 8
    School uniforms make it easy to identify people who do not attend the school.
    PRO 9
    I am A student at a middle school and I think uniforms well help give school pride and people like me well not be made fun of because of their clothing. Uniforms are a must.
    Kami621 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 10:16 PM
    School uniforms are both good and bad but personly I think they suck.
    shorty101492 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 08:33 AM
    i think that school uniforms are a HORRIBLE idea! with uniforms you are taking away the freedom that students have to express themselves. whether its through clothes, music, or makeup!:rolleyes:
    debateman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 06:08 PM
    I'm having a debate at my school about whether or not uniforms should be mandatory.
    I think that uniforms are ridiculus.
    If the school buys the uniform than how will they be able to buy everything else that they need?
    If the family buys the uniform than they will have to buy more than one along with clothes for after school, weekends, and vacations. Ergo, doesn't that increase the amount of money that the family has to spend on clothes?

AWESOME LINK IF You are AGAINST UNIFORMS!!
    Copy and paste everything from "http" to "html" into the address bar

Mandatory School Uniforms - NOT! a few debating points
    LittleMan57 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Im in between this topic. Uniforms are good to have around so they can keep peace but they are not very good to have because it takes away their "freedom" and some may not be "stylish" enough according to fellow students. I hope you find your answer to your question.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 28, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Just me but stylish and freedom fall behind of a good learning environment. They can be stylish and free after school and on the weekends.
    Just found another plus for uniforms, you can tell if you have unwanted guests on campus.
    fizza_gurl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Students should wear uniforms in school

Uniforms are good to wear in the school. If you like a student. If you get lost people could help you. If you go to another school and you wearing a uniform so they would now what school you come from. If you are a prefect in the school and you wearing a uniform so they would know that you are a prefect. It’s easy for you to know what to wear each day. If some bad person come in and not wearing a uniform so you would know that he or she is not from your school.
    Uniform make safety for you. If you come from a different country and you don’t know how to speak English and If you wearing a uniforms the people won’t tell you are not from are school our they won’t be friend with you. They would be friend with and also will teach you how to speak English because people are in Canada are nice and kind too. Uniforms for dress code at our school is an excellent idea. Some people do like to wear uniform. Every one wear uniforms for example policeman, and some other people. If you wear a uniform people will respect you and they would be nicer with you.:p :)
    fizza_gurl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Why don't people like uniforms ? :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Philosophy Debate [ 10 Answers ]

Hey all, I am currently taking a philosophy course and we have been assigned a debate assignment that is in regards to the morality of stem cell research. My group was given the task of being opposed to stem cell research. If anyone can give me any idea why people may be opposed to stem cell...

Uniform Gift to Minors Act (UGMA) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi: I want to invest my children's UGMA money in a piece of realestate. The verbiage I read clearly states the acceptability of financial vehicles, and also "property." I'm fairly certain that realestate is permissible, but I'm unable to find any language to prove this. Does anyone know anything...

Debate on Immigration laws [ 13 Answers ]

I need help on writing a debate about whether immigration laws should be inforced more on not. I need facts from both sides of the debate. Anyone have any tips or sites?

Tax debate,NY or PA [ 1 Answers ]

What would be the better of two. I work in Salamanca,NY. Right now I live in NJ. I am moving out of NJ. Which would be better tax wise, to live in Bradford,PA or Salamanca area, NY? If my income is approx. 1K what would be the savings?

Small uniform design company looking for contracts. Please help. [ 1 Answers ]

Please help, We make uniforms of any kind loking for somebody Who will be intrested. And if you know how to contact city officials for a bid. Help with advice. [email protected]

View more questions Search