Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stionel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Social Security disability
    Hello, My question is when your first denied ss is it faster on the appeal to hire lawyer and Also why does it take so long to get a hearing.R.G.
    Str8cntryboy Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2007, 11:50 AM
    stionel Hello, My question is when your first denied ss is it faster on the appeal to hire lawyer and Also why does it take so long to get a hearing.R.G.

My father was denied his first time and the reason for this is most people will not try again for they feel that they do not qualify for SS. That way the government can save their money . The best thing to do is apply for it again and get denied again then hire a layer. Most Layers will not charge you anything until you receive your SS.
    BlueMoon777 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 12:15 AM
    The best thing to do, as someone else said, is to get a lawyer and don't give up. If you don't get paid, the lawyer doesn't get paid. You must wait it out and depending on the disability, you might be waiting 1,2,3 years; could be more.

Try to get a lawyer that specializes in SS Disability. There are also SS Representatives that will assist you.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stionel
    Hello, My question is when your first denied ss is it faster on the appeal to hire lawyer and Also why does it take so long to get a hearing.R.G.
    Whatever you missed (the government often turns claims down because of missing information they didn't even ask for) a lawyer may catch. He can be paid when you get your award. It takes a long time because the system does not care about the individual and because so many people try to take advantage. If you let it frustrate you, they win.
    mysticunicorn Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2011, 04:45 PM
    The reason it takes so long for a hearing is because there are so many people applying and having hearings. It is just the way it goes. Having an attorney for an appeal is beneficial because he may pick up on anything you may have left out or erred on. So my best advice is, get an attorney, it will be a lot less stressful for you in the long run. They get a percentage, but it is worth it knowing that they are on top of your case. My husband had an attorney and it took 4 years to finally get awarded SSDI benefits. I did it on my own and got them in less than 6 months! It is a crapshoot, basically.
    Fraksure Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 11:40 PM
    It took me 17 months to win my disability. I was turned down twice by mail but had my hearing this month and won. Winning is not exactly the right term but it'll do for now. Get an attorney with integrity who will look out for your best interests. I moved to another state and my attorney said it would be no problem. Six days before the Hearing he drops me and transfers my case to a local attorney. Luckily, I had a very strong case (numerous joint replacements, etc). Once again, luck not exactly being the best phrase here. Being disabled is not a gift.I'd rather be well and working!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security, VA disability, and Judgements [ 4 Answers ]

I am on Social Security disability, and also veterans disability. I have a son who is 32 who has had a hard start in life that I am putting through college. I have recently taken on a company that handles credit problems. I am up to my ears with credit card debt, so I have enlisted Credit Solutions...

Social Security Disability and Taxes [ 10 Answers ]

Can the IRS take any of my disability to pay back @ $16,000 that I owe them? They want me to pay $335 a month to them. Can I have this lowered at all? Can I just tell them that I want to pay $100 (or less) a month? Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

Social Security Disability [ 10 Answers ]

In 1981 I had a head injury in the U.S. Navy with a 10% disability medical discharge. I suffer from sever and frequent migrains or cluster headaches. This has cost me over 18 jobs since then. I was wondering if I would qualify for SSdisability. Because of the medication I have to take to control...

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

I filed for SSI disability several years ago and received it. At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me. I have found out recently that I have lyme disease and the doctor thinks I have had it since I was in 8th grade. That would be over forty years. At the time I filed for SSID I didn't...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search