Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fusionair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2005, 05:40 PM
    Is a chimney liner necessary?
    We will be installing a new mid-efficiency furnace and air-conditioner. We are told that we will need a chimney liner. The old furnace is still using the chimney, but the new furnace will have a vent going out to the side of the house and the only appliance that will still utilize the old chimney will be the water heater. So what's the point in installing a liner? Are we getting charged for something that doesn't need to be done?

Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 24, 2005, 06:42 PM
    Depending upon the size of you chimney you could have a draw problem when the chimney is cold. This will cause it not to draw and the flue gas to come back into the house. I would go with the recommended the liner or switch to a electric water heater.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2005, 07:22 PM
    This could also depend on the condition of the current liner. It could already be leaking. Frequent headaches in the family? Could get worse. Make whoever is saying you must do it explain why. If their answer doesn't sound right, post back. The water heater is already the only appliance feeding the chimney any time it is on and the furnace isn't. If the furnace never feeds it anymore, that shouldn't make much difference. Got along without the furnace before, should continue.
    slls Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2005, 10:22 AM
    The most likely reason is the water heater exhaust would condense in the chimney and form acid. Also water may leak out of the chimney and into the house. With a liner the vent temp would higher and not condense. When the chimney does not condense it’s called a healthy chimney.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2005, 01:14 PM
    As I said, if you didn't have condensation when the water heater was on, but not the furnace, you shouldn't without the furnace. If you did have condensation and the liner is damaged, yes it must be replaced. It is also possible code may call for a smaller vent for the heater alone, even if the current one is working fine.
    fusionair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2005, 04:45 PM
    Thanks guys. Great info you provided. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water behind inground pool liner [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, About 2 and 1/2 years ago we had a new inground vinyl pool liner professionally installed. Ever since then, when we go to open the pool in the spring--we find the liner bubbled up & out in most of the low end of the pool and on the sides of the deep end. We have to take a part of the liner...

Chimney Height Requirements [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having a new chimney built and I understand the 2-10-3 rule regarding height. But I don't know if I'm allowed to include a chimney cap as part of the measurement. Any help appreciated.

HELP... PLEASE.. chimney leak? Carpet wet around fireplace... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I hope someone understands what might be going on.. Several weeks ago, while it was raining, we noticed in our downstairs room, the plasterboard above the wood stove... Was wet... and dripping.. onto the brick hearth... that the wood stove sits upon. My husband went up on the roof...

Chimney starter [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to make my own chimney starter for charcoal grill./ Think use large cans but unsure where the air holes would be placed and what size. Many thanks

View more questions Search