Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrisslittleangel1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 11:29 PM
    How to get married in a courthouse
    I need to know the cost and everything I need to do to get married in a courthouse
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 11:32 PM
    Call the courthouse to find out what a marriage license costs and what are the fees for a judge to marry you there, etc. Also ask if a blood test is needed.

The costs should be very minimal.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 11:43 PM
    Along with the above, I would make sure that the courthouse is willing to issue the license based on where you live, work, were born, etc. I personally ran into this problem when trying to get a marriage license. I eventually found out that it was all a big run around. I first went to the courthouse in the county where we were planning to get married. They said that we had to get the license from the county where the bride was living. We went to that county, and they said that we had to get it from the county where we would be living after we were married, and when we went there we were told that we had to go to the county where the groom was currently living. It was all in Ohio, but it ended up that we got the license on a Friday before the wedding on a Sunday. Then we found out that any courthouse in the state where the ceremony was to take place could have issued the license according to the last courthouse. It also took extra time to get results back for a bloodtest that was required... so it was not as easy as just showing up and asking to have the ceremony done... you may have to schedule in advance, and be prepared for people not to be available when you do show up according to the schedule. People have a way of being out of town or going to conferences when you have appointments, and that will mean that you have to reschedule. Hope that does not happen to you, but just wanted to mention that it has happened to others. At least by getting the license in the same county where my family lived, it will be easier for geneologist to find the record in 100 years or more from now if they need it for some reason.
    corinaherrera74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 02:06 PM
    :)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisslittleangel1
    i need to know the cost and everything i need to do to get married in a courthouse
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Every state and often various counties in each state have their own rules, so you always need to find out by calling the court house. And you will need to make an appointment with a judge in the courthouse to be married by him.

Also most court clerks have lists of ministers that are wiling to do a wedding in your home or the ministers home at little or no money also.

In TN where I just left, the license was about 100 dollars if you did not do a pre marriage counseling course first or about 30 dollars if you did do the course, I did a lot of counseling courses for people wanting to save that money.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 03:46 PM
    All you really need is the license, two adult witnesses and a willing judge. You may have to pay the judge a fee ; perhaps $100-$200.
    mrs.stevens Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 10:22 PM
    How much is the cost in new Albany Mississippi and what all do we need

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do find a courthouse to get married in? [ 1 Answers ]

My Fiancé and I want to get married in a courthouse, for now. I don't know how to go about it. Has anyone done this before? We live in Dupage County, Il.

Married at the courthouse - then still have BIG wedding? [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter who is 22 decided to get married at the courthouse (May 11) all of a sudden. She never told me or my family and I found out the next day when we went to take her out to dinner for her birthday that they had gotten married the day before at 10:00 in the morning. Now her grandparents...

How much does it cost to get married at a courthouse? [ 1 Answers ]

How much does it cost to get married at a courthouse in Michigan? I know it costs $20 for a Michigan marriage licence but how much does it cost for getting married at the courthouse?

Which courthouse is the best to get married in Atlanta? [ 0 Answers ]

Which courthouse is the most "people friendly" place to get married in Atlanta? Please advise me as to the locatoin and phone number to call with questions. Thanks!

Getting married at courthouse/church wedding [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter has decided to marry her soilder at the courthouse so she is able to go to germany with him on his orders can she still have a church ceremony without it being wrong

View more questions Search