Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JosephC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Exemption in taxes for dependents outside USA
    Hello,

I belong to India and have a wife and a kid. I am currently on a L1 visa here in USA. I have applied for a dependent visa for both my wife and kid so that they can join me here. Their visa will be processed and stamped before mid-december this year but they would be able to join me here only by mid next year.

Both of them are financially dependent on me as my wife is a house-wife back in India and my son is 10 years old. While filing the income tax return here for this year would I be able to claim tax benefit by showing them both as dependent on me? Please note that they have not set foot on US land for this entire year and will only do it next year.

If yes, then do I need to apply for ITIN for both my wife and kid? And when and how do I apply for ITIN?

If you could also help me by listing the documents that I would need for doing it, it would be a great help. Would a copy of their stamped visa be sufficient (who will do the true copy for it in India) or which other documents could be used.

Thanks,

Joseph
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Joseph:

You can file jointly with your wife under the First Year Choice program; her physical location is irrelevent!

You can also claim your child as a dependent if the child has been in the custody of your wife for the entire year.

You WILL need to apply for a ITIN for each by submitting Form W-7 with a notarized photocopy of their passports attached. You submit these documents with your joint tax return.

Because your wife has to sign both the tax return and her W-7 and because there is some delay built into the First Year Choice option, you should wait until they get to the U.S. before filing your 2007 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the exemption under international agreements between USA and my country Italy. Briefely, I describe my situation. I am an Italian citizien. On the 3rd of September 2002...

Usa and indian income for taxes in usa [ 2 Answers ]

Myself and my wife are green card holders .my son,a us citizen gifts us some shares which we sell from time to time and use proceeds for our personal expenses.This totals around $11000 for 2006. In addition myself and my wife have indian income mainly from dividend and interest and also income...

Exemption for alien dependents - parent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am pretty sure someone asked this before. I tried searching the forum but could not find an answer. Visa: H1B Nationality: Indian Social status: Single I support my mother who lives in India. She has not set foot in the US ever. Can I claim her as a dependent? Can I fill out an...

Filing taxes with 2 dependents [ 1 Answers ]

I came to usa onmay 21st,if I file tax from June 2006 to dec2006 total-7months@32200/-(4600 permonth gross). According to virginia tax I pay 33% ie) nearly1500 permonth nearly 10,000 for 7months,so if I file in march 2007,I am having dependents(wife on h4 not working&son 5months age) coming in...

View more questions Search