Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lio Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2005, 04:09 PM
    I lost my data on my extended partition
    Hello
    I need somebody to help me recover my data from a backup.

The problem is this:

Before installing Windows 2000, I made two partitions on my hard drive
    A primary partition "C:"in which I installed the opearting system
    And a logical "extended" partition"D:" in which I saved all my data.
    The problem occurred when some weeks later, I had problems with my
    Windows, so I had to install it again, but before doing that I formatted
    My primary partition "C:" and then I installed Windows again.
    Later, when I tried to look my information in the other partition "D:" a dialog box appears telling me that I have to format that drive "D:"
    I'm sure the information is still there. I don't know how to recover it. :( :(

Please I would really appreciate any help. :p :p
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 23, 2005, 04:44 PM
    The second time you rebuilt your C: drive did you format to FAT32 or NTFS.
    Also what file system is your D: drive using, as FAT32 drives cannot read from an NTFS drive.
    All is not lost though as you can convert a FAT32 drive to NTFS.
    Here is an excellent article that covers just that.

Hope this helps.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 24, 2005, 06:34 AM
    Without knowing what steps you took to format you C Drive, its hard to say what happened. But it appears that you did something that affected your D partition as well. If that's the case, the data on D may be gone.
    lio Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2005, 02:37 PM
    My lost data
    Both partions were done on NTFS format.
    And in other occasions I always have followed the same steps to make the partitions.
    So, I know the files are still there because I used a demo program to recover data but I couldnīt get the bigger ones because the demo only recovers files of 64kb or less.

Therefore, I was wondering if you know a site where I can find a free software to recover data but not a demo. :confused:

Thanks for your help :)
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 26, 2005, 04:24 AM
    Give this one a try, I'm not sure if there are any restrictions or not, but I remember having some joy with it a while back!

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U..._Download.html
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 14, 2006, 10:20 PM
    Here is anothr
    Try zero Assumption, so far it's been the best at finding old files and folders on a drive that has even been quick formatted, this demo allows up to 4 folders per session to be copied, it just lists all the folders you lost, it's an excellent program.:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Data entry or data processing from home. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Florida, My name is Don and I am looking for a free data entry from home website that I can find. It is not easy to find! Please help!

Extended notation [ 3 Answers ]

My child has been given a maths problem in his homework which asks him to express a 6 figure number in extended notation, we don't understand. Can anyone help.Thanks :confused:

Lost Data [ 5 Answers ]

My PC (it crashed) used to access files from a networked computer. This networked computer also died a few months back, but since I had opted to cache all the files from this networked PC there was no problem. I did however continue to access files from this cache, but last week my PC crashed. ...

Extended virtual screen? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Does anyone know of a software package that enables an extended virtual screen on a single monitor, I do not meen multiple extended screens or extending your display over multiple monitors, in other words you select a resolution much larger than the monitor is capable of displaying and it...

Dual Monitor Extended Desktop to CRT [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dual monitor on my laptop and extend my desktop when displaying things like PowerPoint and video, etc. As you know, only certain programmes display through the second monitor when you extend your desktop. My questions is, how does the computer know what can be displayed and what can not be...

View more questions Search