Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ytek Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2005, 09:57 AM
    Looking for sheetrock nails that don't rust!
    I've installed quite a bit of sheetrock, and it seems that the nail heads always eventually rust, when located near a shower or tub. The screws do a much better job, but it sure seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to manufacture an aluminum alloy nail that would not rust. I've looked for something like this, but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 23, 2005, 11:22 AM
    Maybe use galvanized roofing nails, stainless steel screws, exterior screws. Make sure the nails you are using are not rusted or starting rust to begin with.
    There must be heavy moisture if the nails are rusting w/ spackle, primer & 1 or 2 coats of paint covering them.
    Bath fans being used to help control moisture in the room?

Nov 23, 2005, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by skiberger
    maybe use galvanized roofing nails, stainless steel screws, exterior screws. Make sure the nails you are using are not rusted or starting rust to begin with.
    There must be heavy moisture if the nails are rusting w/ spackle, primer & 1 or 2 coats of paint covering them.
    Bath fans being used to help control moisture in the room?
    We are located in the southeast, so there is a lot of humidity. And we do use bath fans. Most of the rust occurs above tubs & showers.
    The nails we use are galvanized, just like roofing nails. The rust will sometimes begin right after painting with a water-based primer!
    Just seems like a simple solution to manufacture aluminum alloy nails. Surely, somebody makes these things.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2005, 12:09 PM
    You can buy aluminum roofing and trim nails. They are mainly meant for aluminum siding and trim. However, they don't have the rings to keep them from popping. If rust is that big of a problem, I would try to find short galvanized deck screws.

Nov 23, 2005, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    You can buy aluminum roofing and trim nails. They are mainly meant for aluminum siding and trim. However, they don't have the rings to keep them from popping. If rust is that big of a problem, I would try to find short galvanized deck screws.
    I've seen the aluminum roofing nails. That's what got me thinking about aluminum sheetrock nails. I would be afraid to use roofing nails, without the ridges.

I might consider the galvanized deck screws, for the bath areas. That's not a bad idea! Actually, I've had much better luck with the standard, black coated sheetrock screws, as far as rust. I don't know the coating process, but they do pretty well in water.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 23, 2005, 02:06 PM
    Have you considered using brass or bronze nails/screws ?

I'm not sure what your availability is like for you but in the UK they are readily available in most DIY chains.

Nov 23, 2005, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Have you considered using brass or bronze nails/screws ?

I'm not sure what your availability is like for you but in the UK they are readily available in most DIY chains.
    Brass screws are readily available, but somewhat expensive. Not sure how the price compares to stainless, but I know they are a little pricy.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 23, 2005, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ytek
    Brass screws are readily available, but somewhat expensive. Not sure how the price compares to stainless, but I know they are a little pricy.
    It may just be worth the added expense for added piece of mind.
    I have a feeling that even stainless with rot given time as all it takes is a slight imperfection to cause this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finishing Basement - 8' or 9' Sheetrock? [ 4 Answers ]

Am taking the plunge and finishing my basement, have just started. You may see me on this board with many questions to come... First is the size of drywall to buy. My ceiling is 9' tall to the joists with at least 1' of this holding pipes, electrical, duct work, etc. Have definitely decided on...

Wonderboard or Sheetrock? [ 12 Answers ]

This is not REALLY a plumbing question, but the experts here might be able to help. My tile man has installed "waterproof" sheetrock (green) on the walls that he is about to tile in a renovated bathroom. I heard that for a bathroom, one should use WonderBoard instead, because of its superior...

Acrylic vs. Silk nails [ 9 Answers ]

I am considering fake nails, but know nothing about them. What is the difference between acrylic, silk or gell set? Do they damage real nails? Which is the least damaging? I want a french manicure and understand that certain types of artificial nails have the polish in/on them and do not chip. ...

Sheetrock [ 3 Answers ]

What is 'fire tape'? Can 'green board' be used on ceilings? What are the various coatings on nails and screws and what are their uses?

T-nails [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, Using W2K pro and have a bunch of jpg photos in folders. Now at one time when I open a folder I could see all thumbnails of photos(actual picture) and just scroll through to pick them. But somewhere along the lines aka program change or removal, I no longer see them instead an icon of what...

View more questions Search