Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Nov 13, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Replacing parts in old gate valves
    Hi speedball. I have a question. How easy is it to find replacement parts to rebuild old gate valves. I have several gate valves that are all leaking around the valve stem. I can stop the leaking by cranking down on the packing but then I can't turn the valve.

I was thinking of replacing with new ball valves that meet the new NSF61 requirement for drinking water but I can't find an online seller of such a valve.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 08:54 PM
    I am not Tom but I have stopped the leaking at the stem of a gate valve by replacing or adding to the packing under the packing nut. I use teflon tape for doing both. Replacing it all together seems to work better that way you do not have to crank down on the nut as hard, making it easier to turn the valve handle.
    I just twist a long strand of teflon into a small rope and then wrap it around the stem, it could take couple of tries to get the right amount.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytman
    Hi speedball. I have a question. How easy is it to find replacement parts to rebuild old gate valves. I have several gate valves that are all leaking around the valve stem. I can stop the leaking by cranking down on the packing but then I can't turn the valve.

I was thinking of replacing with new ball valves that meet the new NSF61 requirement for drinking water but I can;t find an online seller of such a valve.
    Simple fix! Look around and purchase a roll of graphite valve stem packing manufactured by Sexaure. Unscrew the bonnet packing nut and remove the old packing. Take a few turns of the graphite packing and then snug up the nut. You have a new bonnet packing and no more leaks. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Hose Valves [ 10 Answers ]

There are two 20 year old hose valves outside the house. Both leak, and one even has a busted handle that requires a vise grip every time we want to open and close the water flow. I would like to replace both without the expense of hiring a plumber. I think this is a job that even I can do.. ....

GE Dryer still squeaking after replacing parts [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE Electric Dryer model number DSXR453EV0WW It was making this aweful squeaking noise constantly and we found the felt in with our clothes, well part of the felt. After doing some research we decided to do some repairs ourselves. We put in new felt, a new bearing drum, and a new belt....

Replacing sink chrome soldered gate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, has anyone had to change a sink gate that was soldered into a wall and had to turn the compression fit. Out of the way of a pop-up rod after changing the sink. The chrome pipe can't be heated enough to unsweat it from the copper feed.

View more questions Search