Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbuff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Older (5-10 yrs) craftsman 5hp leaf blower/chipper
    Anybody know how to start a Older (5-10 yrs) craftsman 5hp leaf blower/chipper?
    It has a primer, but not sure where to put throttle and how many times to push primer. Or what to do first.
    I can usually start it, but that's after I flood it and walk away pissed off. Then come back and sometimes get lucky. Any help would be appreciated.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Make sure plug is good and air filter is clean

I'd prime 4 or 5 times.
    Throttle, full on.
    Choke full on.

If it doesn't start by the 4th pull, take the choke off.
    cbuff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Ok. There is no choke. The guy at True Value said to make sure the choke is on and I told him the same thing - no choke. I 've looked this thing up and down, especially by the carb - and again there is no choke. I tried the 4-5 time priming and pulled about 5 times - no start. Also - brand new filter. I'll probably have to take it in and see if the guys at
    the hardware store can figure it out. Thanks for your help - it was worth a try.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 01:41 PM
    You usually have one or the other but not both, choke or primer. Current primer models call for 10X on the primer. Start with known fresh gas in addition to what KISS advised.
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Interesting. I have a 4 cycle tecumseh engine that has both a primer and choke. My 2 cycle Stihl leaf blower has a primer and a choke. Which is the odd one?

Nov 14, 2007, 02:06 PM
    That is weird, my Sears blower has only a primer and my Stihl weed wacker only a primer too. Maybe I have over generalized but he should insure fresh gas.
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 05:27 PM
    I have a sears blower too, that I don't know it's status. Maybe I should check that too after it quits raining. I had to replace an electric Toro vac because the snout kept falling off. I replaced it with an Echo ES230 blower Vac and blew it up twice. Got a full refund from mfr and purchased a Stihl blower/vac. Stihl has an additude, but other than that,it works well.

Nov 14, 2007, 07:25 PM
    As Mowerman can attest I have had some bad luck lately with my own equipment. I am sick of hearing about small Asian carbs that can't be reseated or repaired. If it's a Bic disposible lighter I can understand but carbs?
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Try rebuilding an 82 Toyota carb. 120 pieces. Yipes! I had a piece of the accelerator pump diaphram stuck in an internal passage. The Tecumseh carb I just rebuilt had what? 10 parts?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older Craftsman Tiller w/5hp Briggs and Stratton [ 11 Answers ]

I recently acquired an old tiller that I have gotten to run. It will only run on full choke. It will only till for about a minute or so before going dead. It will idle for a long period, but it's kind of a rough idle. Do I need to adjust the carberator? I have already changed out the gas and...

205 craftsman gas leaf blower [ 2 Answers ]

What is the oil to gas mixture ratio for the 205 craftsman gas leaf blower? We have lost the owners manual.

Craftsman 8.5hp chipper/shredder [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to remove the heavy, castiron impeller from the crankshaft? I have the protective housing removed and can't figure out how the impeller slides off the shaft. Any ideas?

Craftsman leaf blower [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old craftsman leaf blower and it gets hot fast what could cause this.

Craftsman 2 cycle 230 mph leaf blower [ 4 Answers ]

I accidentally used regular Castrol 2 cycle motor oil (instead of craftsman synthetic) and now the engine is seized. What do I have to do to repair the engine? The manual states to only use synthetic so I assume Sears will not repair this unit as it is only 4 months old.

View more questions Search