Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Austybear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Our 11.5 yr. old Border Collie might be giving up!
    Our dog Catie is a 11.5 yr. old Border Collie. This past year she's had a number of strange symptoms arise. In July we had a full Sr. Wellness panel run on her including ultrasounds, blood work, etc. She started having problems urinating; we thought it was a UTI or incontinence so the Vet put her on the 'pee pill'. She has been urinating on her bed at night and on the floor. The pills weren't working. Also, she's become pretty thin. I took her back to the Vet on Sunday and she's lost 13 pounds since July! Her bladder wall felt thick and the Vet suspected some sort of cancer and Kushings Disease. Also, her heart didn't sound right. I had him run a another full blood panel (I'll get results tomorrow). Here's the thing, she now won't eat & barely drinks. She stares off into space and is having trouble walking. I had to carry her this morning. When she stands up she tilts from side to side like she's going to fall over. I think she's giving up! I don't know what to do! This is such a dramatic difference for her from a week ago. We have 2 little girls at home and we lost our son earlier this year. I'm afraid if the Vet thinks we should put her down, how our girls will react with a 2nd loss in the family. :( Any suggestions? I've tried her favorite treats, food, etc. - nothing is working!
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Sound like she may be stroking. Take her to an emergency vet now
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Austy I understand your concern about your children's reaction. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your son. I know this isn't easy for you but you need to get your dog into the vet's office, or an emergency vet as danielnoahsmommy suggested, immediately. The vet needs to assess the situation and give you guidance on what to do. Explaining to your children is secondary to making sure your dog isn't in any pain or distress at the moment. Please post back when you have an opportunity and let us know what the situation is. At that point, we can talk about how best for you to deal with your children.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 03:38 PM
    The vet may or may not be able to do anything. It is your only chance.
    kildarebabe Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 02:59 AM
    You really need to get your dog to d vets so that you know what's wrong and what your options are. I had a golden lab and she was about 12yrs old. She had similar problems and sadly it was cancer. She was in pain and so we had her put to sleep.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Border Collie mix resists crate [ 1 Answers ]

In compliance with site policy, I am answering this PM here. I would suggest you start by reading through housebreaking and What does a puppy need in the sticky starting at What does https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/information-articles-our-dogs-expert-labman-53153.html#post251802 It...

Border Collie/Collie not eating [ 9 Answers ]

I thought I had entered this already but it never went in. Dog is a 13 and a half-year old Border Collie / Collie mix and she has suddenly stopped eating except selectively out of the hand. After a lot of battles with pills w gave up trying to give them - her slight heart problem now looks...

7 year old wonderful border collie has not eaten for days. [ 1 Answers ]

My border collie is 7 years old and all of a sudden acts like he has no will to live. He has not eaten anything for about 7 days. Not even things like pure tuna or hamburger which any dog would suck down so fast. He has lost a lot of weight and will only come to his name if you say it repeatily....

Border collie nightmare [ 3 Answers ]

My Border Collie,Hank, is a beautiful 3 year old male. We are his third home in 3 years and I see why. He's really too smart for his own good. He has escaped our yard several times, jumped through window screen, opened windows and the fridge, ripped apart a panel wall and eaten most of my window...

Runny eye in Border Collie [ 1 Answers ]

My 8 yr old Border Colie has got a very runny eye (clear discharge) and some localised hair loss around the eye. I was hoping someone could help me regarding what the problem might be.

View more questions Search