Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 04:11 PM
    YOU ARE DOING GREAT! What a trooper you are. :)
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 04:32 PM
    OK 3 and 4 came!!

She took a nice hour break between pup 2 and 3 but then puppies 3 and 4 came really close together.

Both pups 3 and 4 were girls

So so far the total is 4 puppies
    3 girls and 1 boy

Everyone is doing great and Ava is a GREAT mommy!
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Do you think that is it for the puppies? Think there might be one or two more? She looked awfully large. I guess you just have to keep an eye on her and see how she is managing. If she starts really moving around and appears to be perky and out of distress (no more panting or vomiting) then that would be a very good sign. I hope it is just the four of them.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 04:51 PM
    I really hope its just the 4... but to be honest it really look like there is more in there. On the side of her belly that is facing up there is a definitely "ball" or bump still... I have a gut feeling there is going to be 2 more!!

But my husband is home from class now... so I can take a breather lol

Holy crap!! Didn't even finish typing this before my husband delivered another one!!

So now we are up to 5!!
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Ok so puppy number 6 is here!! And it's a little girl, so that brings the total to 5 girls and 1 boy.

A few things have me concerned though...

With the 6th puppy the placenta didn't come out, Ava and I tried to pull it out but Ava ripped the cord before we could get it out. It still hasn't passed.

And once she cleaned up puppy number 6 we went to put the rest of the puppies back with her (as we have done every time she delivers a new pup) but now she started growling at the other puppies so we took them back out. We tried again, and she growled again. So we took them out.

I wonder is something wrong with puppy number 6 and Ava is trying to protect her??
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 05:35 PM
    Are you sure she is done delivering? It might be that she is having another one or she is just really uncomfortable at the moment. I am not sure about the placenta. I know that it can cause problem if it doesn't come out. I was about to sign off for the night but I will see what I can turn up and get back to you.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Okay, don't worry too much about the placenta not coming out immediately. It might slip out during the night or tomorrow. I am sorry I can't stay online. If your vet is aware of the situation and you encounter problems during the night, do not hesitate to call him. That is what they are there for.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Well I am having trouble getting puppy number 6 to nurse... she won't latch on :(
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Can you stimulate her mouth with your finger? Is she sucking at all? Try to rub around her the outside of her mouth gently with your pinky and slowly see if she will take it in her mouth.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 05:48 PM
    By the way, labman should be back later this evening. If you are having trouble he might be able to help. I hate leaving you like this but I have dogs that need to be walked and phone calls to return. :(

You might want to do an internet search on "Whelping puppies, problems" and see what turns up. You are smart enough to assess good info from bad.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Oh Ruby your fine :) Thanks for all your help... I just keep updating to allow anyone to help lol and I figure labman would be on soon.

Up to number 7!! This one is a boy... so 5 girls and 2 boys.

On puppy 6 and 7 the placenta didn't come out :(

Number 6 isn't nursing yet... I will try simulating her with my finger.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 06:56 PM
    And now we have 8

5 girls and 3 boys... holy crap... how did the vet only see 2?!
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Labman (since you're on lol)...

Ava has starting growling and trying to bite the puppies... my husband is sitting in there with her now and is holding her collar so she can't, and let the puppies nurse.

Is this normal? Will she stop?

I am afraid to leave her alone with all the puppies in there :(

*and I think there is still one puppy left in her... she delivered the 8th one at 9pm, it is now 10pm
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 08:29 PM
    9 puppies... 5 girls, 4 boys... oh my...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 08:41 PM
    I simply do not know what to do about the growling. Do you have any of the books?
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Yeah I have the books and have skimmed through them but don't see anything about it... she has seemed to stop.

We were removing the puppies when she would birth another one, then after she cleaned the new one we would put back the other pups so they all could nurse.
    This worked fine until puppy number 6, then when we tried to give the puppies back she started growling and snapping.

So I tried a few times then tried something different that I think I remember reading about. I re-introduced each puppy by offering their rear end to her... she would lick and lick, then stop... then I could lay the puppy down and she was fine :)

So that seemed to help.

Her water broke again and I thought we were going to have a 10th puppy... but nothing so far.
    She is in her room with all of the puppies and is doing great :)

Never imagined 9 puppies!!

I will load some pictures tomorrow :)
    flcutiepye Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Nov 29, 2007, 10:09 PM
    OMG! I'm so sorry that I was not online yesterday to read this post!! I feel horrible! I would have offered you some advice!!!!

I really hope Ava stopped biting the pups! =/ I hope that all of the pups are ok & healthy!!!

Is the grand total 9 pups??

Post pics! I want to see!
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Ok so this morning the grand total is 9 puppies :D

5 girls and 4 boys and everyone seems to be doing great!!

Ava is still a little touchy sometimes with the puppies, but it has gotten a lot better, so hopefully it will stop soon.

Ava has the runs :( but other than that she seems to be doing great, she gets out of the box on her own when she wants to go outside.

I am going to call the vet and see if they want me to bring her in to make sure all the puppies are out and everything is okay.

Getting ready to take my little one to school, hopefully they will do OK while I'm gone (about 20 mins).

I will post some pics when I get back :)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Macksmom, congratulations. Looking forward to to seeing the pictures.
    keamarie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 06:15 AM
    My female had 5 puppies in June.. be ready for a lot of mess.. and talk to your vet for signs of breching.. when her water breaks she will be digging a lot.. looking for a warm dark spot . Needs to be away from destractions.. and others. Needs water by her side.. and if its her first litter you might need to be there when she gives birth.. Ur vet should tell all the info you need to do medical wise.. when u see a brownish discharge her mucuise plug is braking.. so puppies will be due 72 to 24 hours.. when her water breaks.. get ready for a long wait cause it takes 30mins to an hour each pup.. and if u see a dark green discharge go to the vet right way.. there could be problems...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do puppies need vitamins? [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, I am a proud new owner of a 3 mont hold male rat terrier. We bought oreo from a puppy store three days ago and he has had diarrhea ever since we bought him home. I am taking him to the vet tommrow for his first visit. I am beginning to think that the cause of this diarrehea could be all...

Puppies [ 6 Answers ]

my sister and I have been wanting a little maltese or a yorkie for about 2 months, and my mom doesn't care if we get one, but we r trying to convince him into getting a dog. does anyone know any good tips on how to convince parents into getting a dog?? also, does anyone know where to find...

Fleas on puppies [ 6 Answers ]

My niece has a new puppy 6 months old ,what can we do about fleas?

New mother to 5 puppies [ 1 Answers ]

Our dog gave birth to five lovely puppies yesterday, she coped excellently, but we are not sure what our next step should be, do we take her to the vet, she seems healthy and the pups are suckling well, when can she go out, should she be panting - she is drinking little but often is this normal,...

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My pug had two puppies they are now 8 1/2 weeks old. One just went to her new home today now the other puppy is acting kind of sad is it normal?

View more questions Search