Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Start button won't stay on - Kenmore Elite gas dryer
    My Kenmore Elite gas dryer model 110.73954102 won't stay "on" when I release the start button. Purchased new 5-28-2003. Has Sears issued a recall or defective part for this model? Serviceman coming soon.
    applsvcgirl Posts: 112, Reputation: 9

Nov 13, 2007, 04:26 PM
    No recall just a bad winding on the motor. You will be needing a new motor.

Nov 13, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Thanks. I just learned there is a class action lawsuit for my dryer, because the electronic sensors didn't work correctly. Evenheat Settlement It only covers the first 3 years, and it's been 4 1/2 years since I bought it. Hope the serviceman can fix it - even if it needs a new motor as you suggested - better than buying a new dryer.
    applsvcgirl Posts: 112, Reputation: 9

Nov 14, 2007, 04:42 AM
    A service tech is going to charge you between $200-$300. The sensor issue didn't have anything to do with the motor so I didn't mention it.

Nov 15, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Sears serviceman just left. Dryer needs a new "push to start button" for $10.31. Of course he has to order it - takes 10 days. Service charge is $155, so total cost is $165.31. In the meantime, he says I CAN tape down the button to make the dryer work, but there will be no heat - just air drying. The motor is fine, he says. Hope the whole electronic board doesn't fail, as it has for others involved in the Evenheat Settlement.
    baez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 03:26 AM
    :(
    Quote Originally Posted by suzn
    My Kenmore Elite gas dryer model 110.73954102 won't stay "on" when I release the start button. Purchased new 5-28-2003. Has Sears issued a recall or defective part for this model? Serviceman coming soon.
    EVEN HEAT BOARD CONTROLLER IS BAD
    kevon1357 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2009, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by suzn View Post
    Sears serviceman just left. Dryer needs a new "push to start button" for $10.31. Of course he has to order it - takes 10 days. Service charge is $155, so total cost is $165.31. In the meantime, he says I CAN tape down the button to make the dryer work, but there will be no heat - just air drying. The motor is fine, he says. Hope the whole electronic board doesn't fail, as it has for others involved in the Evenheat Settlement.

I have the same problem and I replaced the "push to start button" myself yesterday (cost about $30 for parts and shipping). Didn't fix the problem though.
    denagl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 05:56 PM
    How did you remove the panel where the buttons are? I can't get mine off. Have the same problem with the start button.
    denagl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 05:56 PM
    How did you remove the panel where the buttons are? I can't get mine off. Have the same problem with the start button.
    KarlyT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 06:05 AM
    Unfortunately, so many people talk when they don't have all the facts!!

We had the same problem on our Kenmore Elite (Whirlpool) Evenheat dryer just this past week, and in this particular case, it was the "motor relay." We were able to find this part on eBay for $8.50, and locally for $32.00. My husband and I diagnosed and fixed the problem ourselves with the help of Internet research. On these Evenheat dryers with start buttons that shut the dryer off as soon as you let the start button go, SOMEtimes it's the control board, SOMEtimes it's the motor relay, SOMEtimes it's the thermistor, and in much rarer instances, it's the start button switch itself. Many threads on the topic will tell you how to check for each. Visual inspection will only tell you if your control board has a fried resistor.

The hardest part of fixing these dryers is figuring out how to get the console to flip up and back. "Uncle Harry's" YouTube "Kenmore Washer Repair" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNRd04vwc4Y -will show you how to open the various types of washer/dryer consoles on the market. For our 5 1/2 year old Kenmore Elite dryer, I slid a butter knife along and even with each edge of the console where the console meets the top of the dryer, and felt around for the heavy duty clips (one on each side) that clips it to the top of the dryer. When I felt it, I (quite forcibly) pushed the butter knife from front to back to compress the clip (repeating on each side). On this style of dryer, there are no screws that need to be undone, and no end caps to remove. After the clips come out of their respective holes, you carefully pull the entire console straight up, and tilt back. The sliding hinges are at the top back of the console.

I sure hope this CORRECT information helps someone else!
    yoozer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 04:22 PM

Sorry to bump this, but I just found this thread because I am having the same problem, and I thought I would share an interesting "solution."

My dryer is in an uninsulated garage, and I noticed that this only happens when the ambient temperature is approx 20 degrees or less. So, one day I decided to aim my propane rocket heater at the front of the dryer, a few feet away. (yes the garage door was open a couple feet so no one dies of CO). Sure enough, after about 10 minutes, I would try to turn on the dryer, and it would stay on. This works EVERY TIME. Lately it is taking 10 to 20 minutes of "help" from my rocket heater before it will stay on. Obviously I would rather not have to do this... I hope someone knows what I can do so that I don't have to use this method anymore.
    rojaspga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 09:58 PM
    If you are sure that dryer does not have a faulty lid switch then it is probably the power relay switch. The part number is 3405281 and cost about $45 brand new from Sears but you can probably gert one off Ebay really cheap for about $10 - $15.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Elite dryer - Push to start, stops when button released [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am having the same problem many of you out there have experienced. I purchased a new Kenmore Elite Electric Dryer 2 years ago. I have read all the responses posted here. I have taken the lower front panel off, totally cleaned the insides, and tested the contacts for continuity that were in...

Kenmore Elite Dryer Model # 110.63952101 won't stay running [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 years old Kenmore Elite Dryer (Model # 110.63952101). The dryer can be started and will heat, but shuts down after 1 to 2 monutes. It seems like a control problem. What do I need to replace?

Kenmore Elite gas dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My kenmore elite gas dryer sometimes makes my clean clothes smell like gas. Any suggestions why? It is new I had the gas company come there is no gas leak. And sears was no help. Its very inconsistent as to when it happens not that offten but it does sometimes.

Kenmore Elite gas dryer has no heat turns off when start button is released [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite gas dryer Model 11074992300. At first the dryer would run but there was no heat. Now the dryer will only run when the start button is pressed, as soon as it's released it stops running and still no heat. Does anyone know what it will need to be repaired?

Kenmore Elite Gas Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I have a Kenmore Elite Gas Dryer about 4 years old with a dial timer , it shuts down about every 4 minutes and sometimes stays a running through the full cycle. After it shuts down I can restart the dryer with no problem , the motor sounds good... Thanks for any help Joey

View more questions Search