Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Cat losing belly hair?
    I have a little cat, she is about 3 years old but she was the runt of her litter. She lives in the house and doesn't have fleas or ticks or mange or anything like that, but the hair on her lower belly is getting thinner and thinner. She's not sick or anything, just losing hair/thinning hair, and it's strange. What might this be from?

Her belly was covered in white fur but now I can see the pink and gray splotched skin underneath. She's brown and black striped/tabby with a white belly, white chin, white chest patch, white toes, could it have to do with genes or something?

I just am concerned, I love that little kitty so much!
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Also I just took a picture of her belly area with my phone that I can upload if anyone needs to see it to help.

*Also about a million and a half pictures of her just being precious... XD
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Nov 13, 2007, 11:39 AM
    What kind of food does she eat? Diet has a great deal to do with the health of an animals skin and coat. I have a dog that if not fed Iams formulated for sensitive skin and stomachs, he looses his hair. Mainly on his hind quarters. On the special food, his coat is healthy and shiny. My older cat, Snoops, has a very sensitive digestive tract. It mostly came with age, he's 13. Anyway, he needs to be fed Purina Naturals. If not, he pukes at least every other day. The food he's on contains no coloring or additives. How old is your kitty? Do you bathe her yourself?
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 09:27 PM
    She eats a mixed diet of tuna fish in water, tuna fish in oil, pink salmon, sometimes some jack mackerel.. and some hard cat kibble kind of food, (always has access to clean water)and every once in a while she gets a slice of ham shredded up. She's always ate the same thing though so I am wondering why it's just happening now.

She is totally healthy and everything, so it's just weird.

She is about 3 maybe 3 and a half now, she was born in our home, and she keeps herself pretty clean, but if she gets into something and gets messy I do bathe her myself, but I just fill the bathtub up a few inches with warmish water and drop in a teaspoon of baby shampoo and wash her with a towel.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 08:46 PM
    That's a lot of fish that your cat is eating. Tuna is really not all that healthy for cats (it lacks vitamin E, and if it's deboned, it's low in several minerals and calcium). Fish is also one of the proteins that are likely to cause allergies in cats. And one of the most common symptoms of food allergies is hair loss and itchy skin. And before you say that you have always fed her this with no problems: allergies tend to arise because you have become sensitized to the allergen. Which generally takes repeated exposures. So it could be that you have just now reached the point where the allergy takes affect.

If I were you, I'd try cutting the fish out of the diet, go to a good-quality commercial cat food (and read the ingredients carefully, since a lot of them have fish in them), and see if that helps the situation.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 08:48 PM
    She eats about the same amount of commercial cat food as she does fish, I just vary the fish so she doesn't have the same kind all the time. I will try to reduce her intake, but it will be hard as the other cats will freak if I take away their fish. XD
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 07:52 PM
    You might try giving them canned catfood instead of the fish. It's more balanced, and the cats will probably enjoy it just as much.
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 07:59 PM
    We do feed her some canned cat food. I have been only feeding her commercial cat food since the suggestion was made but still her hair is falling out in that one little patch. I am going to take her to the vet next week to make sure she didn't get into something bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is losing a lot of hair [ 6 Answers ]

Over the past couple of days my cat who is almost 2 is losing her hair. It's mostly on her head and a spot near her tail. It doesn't seem to hurt her to touch it but she seems to be grooming a lot. She hasn't changed her behavior.She isn't acting sick either. She did this once before when I...

I am 21.and Losing my hair?/ [ 4 Answers ]

I am 21 years old and my hair is coming out horribly, every single time that I run my hands through it six to seven strands are coming out. I stopped blow drying it... I stopped straightening it and I only wash it every three days. Its hurts to pull up in a ponytail, and I constantly feel like I am...

I'm 20 and losing my hair HELP! [ 5 Answers ]

I'm only 20 and I'm losing my hair. I really don't know what to do can someone please help me?? :confused:

Dog losing his hair [ 19 Answers ]

Hello All, I have a 17 month old lab - american bulldog mix. He's a good dog - for the most part. He has a white and yellow coat. His skin is spotted. He has black or dark spots on his skin. About two weeks ago I noticed that some of his fur is starting to thin. It kind of looks as if he...

Cat licking a lot and losing hair [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: my cats name is misty, she is probably about 5-6 years old! Recently about 2 weeks ago i noticed she started licking a lot and now she is missing a large amount of hair, like patches around her little body, and she has gotten really skinny. She is eating like a mad women and i don't know what...

View more questions Search