Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

Nov 13, 2007, 04:50 AM
    What to my investment & savings if E*Trade goes bankrupt?
    What happens to a person's stock, mutual fund and savings account $ if their online brokerage/bank like Etrade or Ameritrade goes bankrupt? The site says it is SIPC and FDIC insured, but does what does that mean? And who do we contact if it happens. I can't find any straightforward answers on the site.

Right now etrade is sending "despite rumours we will continue to provide excellent service blah blah blah and we can withstand a million dollar loss blay bah blah"
    Fishy if you ask me.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2007, 07:24 PM
    I would switch my account last week. I use Scottrade which seems to be OK right now but if they go bankrupt then who knows how long it will take to see your money, if ever. I'm thinking Schwab would be the strongest of discount brokers. Just my guess though.
    Wouldn't creditors get the first piece of pie, stock holders last? I really can't find anything on it and I have been looking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Investment & Relevant Costs [ 2 Answers ]

When purchasing new equip versus keeping old, does the amount of investment include the purchase price AND the residual value of the old (trade-in value), or is it only the cost of the new equipment? :confused:

Daylight Savings changes & MS Dbs [ 2 Answers ]

With the standard beginning and end dates of daylight savings time changing next year, will any of the MS database products be affected? My site is still using Access 98, as well as 2000, SQL/Server 2000 and Oracle 10. My concern is really for the functions packaged with those database. Will they...

Capitol Gains, Real Estate & investment ? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: We are selling family property (178 acres & a house), to be split between 6 siblings. It will sell between $1 & $1.6 million. Will we have to pay Capitol Gains on 1/6 of the selling price, or the whole amount? Will we have to "buy up" to avoid Capitol Gains? We will be...

View more questions Search