Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    claire_pink88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 04:45 AM
    How can you manage to pick the right course for you?
    I am a bit confused :confused: , at first I want to be in the military but then lately watching the news the military is not really good, am planning to be in the Air Force but I don't know I haven't made up my mind yet, or maybe a nurse but I don't really want it because it's the most common course and I want to have a course that people are not so familiar with, can u give me any advice? I am a graduating student and a few months from now I'll be graduating.. :)
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 13, 2007, 05:19 AM
    I cannot imagine the military as a bad option. Seriously. Great educational opportunities!

Is your dilemma that you don't know what course's are neccasary for your career path, or is it that you haven't chosen your path yet? Either way, you should select something that you enjoy so that in the next ten or fifteen years, or more, you will still be doing it happily.

Good luck!
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 16, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Typically, we're happiest doing something that is congruent with our personality type and interests, that we are passionate about, and that holds some intrinsic meaning for us. A career counselor or coach will probably suggest you take the Self Directed Search, which is interest-based. It's available online at:

Welcome to the Self-Directed Search...the world's most widely used career interest inventory!

The result is a detailed report. It costs 9.95USD to take the report, and you get the results immediately. You get a three letter code with jobs associated with its various permutations. Research has shown that people with a certain three-letter type tend to have high degrees of satisfaction in certain careers, and these are provided in the report. Associated with each career suggestion is a DOT Number: you can go to the following site, enter the DOT Number, and read about the career - what it's like, job prospects, education needed, etc.:

O*NET OnLine Help

Another common approach is to look at the kinds of careers that provide the best fit for one's personality type. This is a book many career seekers I've known have found helpful:

Amazon.com: Do What You Are : Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type--Revised and Updated Edition Featuring E-careers for the 21st Century: Books: Paul D. Tieger,Barbara Barron-Tieger

I agree with CaptainRich that the military is a great career option - however, you've mentioned the military and nursing in your post. That's quite a spread. What appeals to you about these options as careers, other than that they're there as options? Unless you find yourself getting excited about a career when you read and think about it, you're likely to find yourself unhappy with the choice eventually, in my experience. Do what you love, and (as the saying goes) you'll never work a day in your life.

Vasily
    jasmine_rezzag Posts: 191, Reputation: 10

Dec 17, 2007, 12:11 AM
    I think you have no need to think about others familiar with your career or not,the most important thing is that what is your interest,what can make you devote yourself to without doubt but feel enjoyable,what is helpful for your future? Think about it carefully and make right decision! But if you are a male,I think military or air force is really a good choice! Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I manage my stress? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having uncontrollable stress and anxiety! I have have vasovagal syncope, endometriosis, and ovarian cysts. I have stopped taking all of my medications Seasonal Birth control, Toporol XL, and Norpace. I have been off them for a month now. Were going to be trying to have a child soon, this is the...

How to manage straightened hair [ 1 Answers ]

I had straightened my hair.. it has become very dry and unmanageable. Please help me as regard what to do for my hair. Please tell me how to wash my hair and then what to use to make them silky? Also give me detailed instruction after washing my hair

How can I manage this [ 1 Answers ]

I'm ganna straight forword.. I love my wife so much and I'm crazy about her although I had so many relationships before I met my wife but still she is so special as she is now.. and accourding to she keeps saying that she loves me too very mush.. but with a way I cannt see her love comparing with...

How would you manage? [ 9 Answers ]

I am dating a guy who loves women & is very flirtatious. We have been together for a few months & he says he will try to improve because he does really like me, but it will take time. I am a pretty jeolious person & am quite insecure so I don't react well when I see him touching & flirting with...

View more questions Search