Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 02:23 AM
    Why does " Calcium Carbonate hardly reacts with dilute Sulphuric Acid " ?
    I need a quick reply please. Thank you in advance.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 03:46 AM
    I don't know that they are the correct answers. But, you might want to look down at the bottom of this page for links to questions that have been similar to yours.
    applsvcgirl Posts: 112, Reputation: 9

Nov 13, 2007, 05:15 AM
    Their chemical compounds put an even number of valence electrons in the outter shell hence they do not react much.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Appls isn't right they do react, I think they are thinking about ionic interactions. In covalent interactions (such as this) it doesn't matter if they have similar numbers of valence electrons. Think of an oxygen molecule (O2) both oxygens have identicle amounts of valance electrons yet they definitely react and form a molecule.

To the OP the key to your answer is think how they react - what do they rely on.
    Here's some clues dilute sulphuric acid
    What makes something acidic?
    What will you have less of if it is dilute?
    Work that out and you'll have your answer.
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2007, 02:14 AM
    Ok thanks for trying
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Argh, I've been looking at this in too much of a chemical mechanics bent does your question linked to limestone being dissolved on buildings and cliffs?

If so this is a more probably answer...
    One of the products is not very soluble (clue it's not the gas or water) It can inhibt the reaction via coating the Calcium carbonate.

I can't be sure which is the answer your teacher wants, which one seems more relavent to your studies?
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 01:56 AM
    Ok I let you know afterwards. Its on the chapter metals in fact, topic 'Reaction of acids on Metal Carbonates'. It is told that metal carbonates generally react with acids to form a salt, water and carbo dioxide.

It said that " However lumps of Calcium Carbonate hardly reacts with dilute sulphuric acid. WHY?"

Perhaps the word lumps is a hint. Actually I have 2 hypotheses:
    I) Either the salt product stays on the surface and thus prevent any further reactions,
    ii)Or that calcium carbonate, being up the reactivity series, forms a very stable carbonate which is difficult to react with the acid.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 01:59 AM
    Anyway I think that I will get the answer by next Sat (24 Nov).
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2007, 02:21 AM
    If anything says lumps always mention surface area first for easy marks then go onto the more complicated answer. I think your answers are good. It is the stable salt which forms an unreactive layer as far as I can remember - it's been a loooooong time but it is coming back slowly. :P

Have you got exams soon or do you get them all in the summer? Either way good luck with your studies.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 02:40 AM
    Thanks
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 01:17 AM
    The first hypothesis was the correct one.
    jkhdbdb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2011, 09:03 AM
    I got my nswers from here for my homework and I neva had a clue what the question meant

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Calcium carbonate+sulphuric acid [ 3 Answers ]

When marble chips (calcium carbonate) are reacted with sulphuric acid, the reaction stops immediately. Why?? :confused:

Seeking Holistic Type Cat Food for"Calcium Oxalate Stones in Bladder"(had surgery) [ 9 Answers ]

My 6 yr. old male, indoor, rescued cat Ginger recently had surgery where they removed several calcium oxalate stones from the bladder. Also, in analysis (at another Vet's Hospital) they found struvites. Complicated story as he was taken out of that hospital as my poor kitty was suffering for...

Calcium carbonate added to nitric acid? [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know what calcium carbonate and excess Nitric acid makes. Please help

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Calcium Carbonate + Sulphuric acid = ? [ 4 Answers ]

Calcium carbonate + sulphuric acid = ? I don't have a clue and need help!

View more questions Search