Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rmc7259 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2005, 09:10 AM
    Musky odor coming from heat vents
    We installed a humidifier to our furnace in February. Could it be causing the musky odor that we periodically get from the vents? What is funny about it is that the smell is not there 24/7 and when it is present it comes more from one or two vents only. If that makes any sense.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2005, 10:02 AM
    Rather than causing the problem the humidifier may be providing enough moisture for something to live on contamination in the ducts supplying the vents. I would do my best to clean them. Try full strength bleach on a cloth. Reach as far down the duct as you can. If you have access to the ducts, perhaps take them apart, inspect them, and clean each section the best you can. Wearing rubber gloves will be easier on your hands. You could also call in a professional duct cleaning service. Not sure if they would be what you need. I think they are more into dust removal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor coming from under Kitchen sink [ 73 Answers ]

I have noticed an odor coming from the cabinets where the kitchen sink is. I have looked for any leaks where the sink is, but have not found any. Could the odor be coming from the sewage? How can I tell? If so, then what can I do to get rid of it? Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

Sewer gas smell coming from vents in home. [ 2 Answers ]

About a month ago a bad smell started coming from our venting inside our home. It smelled like a big toilet. We had someone come look inside our venting and nothing. We had someone come and check our furnace and nothing. And It doesn't smell everyday either.. right now it smells terrible but...

Odor coming from shower drain [ 5 Answers ]

We’ve lived in our new house for one month. There is a pungent broccoli and dirty sock odor coming from one of the three bathrooms. Prior to moving in, the plumber dug up the slab to add a shower and moved the drain for the tub. This is a one-story and all drains in the bath are going to the same...

Musky Smell from vents and water [ 12 Answers ]

We have a musky smell coming up through the heating vents. Also I have noticed that our ice cubes have been coming out with an odor, similar to the kind of odor and taste they get after sitting unused for a while. But this smell is with them right from the first day. I don't know if there is a...

Musky Smell In Bathroom [ 10 Answers ]

Lately I've been noticing a strange musky smell in my bathroom that seems to be coming from nowhere. This is a spare bathroom that isn't used much, but a few months ago I did some work where I replaced the toilet and used two wax gaskets to seal it. If there was a leak there, wouldn't it smell like...

View more questions Search