Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seanfarrant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 05:10 PM
    401k withdrawl.good idea?
    I only have $4000 in my 401k, and was recently laid-off. I need the money to start a small business. How much can I expect to get after taxes. Are there state tax penalties for Florida?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2007, 05:59 PM
    You'd probably see less that $3K
    ranger59 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Dec 2, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Cashing in your 401K will instantly incur a penalty of 20% of your funds plus you will have to pay taxes on the original $4000. Not knowing your tax rate but using a Federal tax rate of 15%, you may clear about $2600. Be better if you keep the money in the 401K.
    ranger59 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Dec 3, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger59
    Cashing in your 401K will instantly incur a penalty of 20% of your funds plus you will have to pay taxes on the original $4000. Not knowing your tax rate but using a Federal tax rate of 15%, you may clear about $2600. Be better if you keep the money in the 401K.
    Yes, you are right, it is 10% penalty. Still better to keep the funds in the 401K.
    kliem Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Let's summarize: The bottom line is 10% penalty only applies to those age less than 59 1/2. Otherwise, 10% penalty does not apply to those older than 59 1/2. The 10% penalty is on top of the income tax that you have to pay. For example for age younger than 59 1/2 (which I assume you are), than you need to pay $400 from the original $4k. Then your $4k is being added to you total earned income and pay tax on it. Your tax amount will based on your income tax bracket. Florida does not have state tax so you don't need to worry about paying state tax. You just need to take care of Uncle Sam.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

401K withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to possibly withdrawl my 401K, which is about 13,000. I know that there are penalties and taxes, but approxiamately how much would I receive? Is it taxed when withdrawn or are the taxes paid at income tax time?

401k withdrawal after 59.5 [ 1 Answers ]

What is my tax liability if I withdraw from my 401k after 59.5 ?

401k withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a time frame in which my previous employer has to deliver my 401k withdrawl to me once I have requested it from him? It seems to be dragging on way too long. What legal action can I take?

401k withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

The Big Lots store I have been managing the past three years recently closed. I wish to withdrawl my 401k contributions and I was wondering if I will be charged a penalty since the company closed my store and offered no transfer.

View more questions Search