Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joys_uk4multiplayer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Does an ethernet connection work for gaming without being online?
    Hi,

I like to play multiplyer games with my kids and been used to using a dial-up connection plus an ethernet cable. Now we've got broadband and I don't know how to do multiplayer anymore. If I use the ethernet cable, I just get the old 'limited or no connectivity' sign. Does an ethernet cable have to be supported by an internet connection to work, and if so can this be done with broadband? Is there any way of two computers communicating directly for gaming without having to go online at all?

Phil
    l99057j Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Nov 12, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Depends entirely on the game. For example, in Starcraft if both players are on the same network you can play over your LAN without any Internet connectivity at all. But in that same game, you could also connect to their online service (BattleNet) and play with others around the world via your internet connection.

What does your setup look like? A typical broaband setup consists of a DSL or cable modem which is connected to a router. Then each computer connects to the router either via an Ethernet cable or a wireless network card, assuming your router is capable of wireless.

Describe your setup here... what game(s) are you trying to play, can you access the Internet from each computer, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Direct Cable Connection using Ethernet ports. [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to connect my LAptop to my Desktop at home. I know we should use a cross-over cable to connect the Ethernet ports. But I have no clue as to what are the steps / procees I should follow to mak this connection happen. I would like to have the step by step procedure as what is to be...

Changing USB connection to ethernet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a belkin wireless G router which doesn't work with my ntl broadband it got something to do with changing the USB connetion to ethernet can someone tell me how Please! Thank you

Ethernet connection slow, wireless is fine [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am using the Actiontec MI-424WR or MI424WR router that I am provided by verizon. My service provides 15 Mbps down 2 Mbps up. When I first got the service earlier this month tests done at speakeasy showed 15/1.7 which was normal. The past week or so, my connection has deteriorated to being...

Online gaming [ 10 Answers ]

Just so I'm aware Between myself and my son we enjoy online gaming and I was wondering if there are any games that cost money to play?

View more questions Search