Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pipwax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 03:00 PM
    Carrier Furnace
    I am looking at furnace for a friend. The furnace will come on with that small fan and the pilot will light. However, the burner will not catch.

This unit has a igniter I suspect that the igniter is bad. Is there any way to test it?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2005, 03:18 PM
    You should be able to see it get red hot. Also, if the gas comes on, but goes off because it didn't light, it isn't working.

Disregard above answer. I was in a hurry and didn't read the question correctly.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 21, 2005, 03:45 PM
    When the fan is coming on ,pre-purging, its making sure there is no left over "exhaust" in the system and no back drafting. If the pilot is lit, that is your ignition source. It almost sound like there is a safety "switch"preventing the gas valve from opening on the pre-purge cycle. If the furnace vents through the side of the house and not a chimney, check to see if the exterior of the vent is blocked by birds, bees nest, etc. Also make sure the bottom compartment door cover the blower is securly on. (theres a safety switch on the compartment that will prevent the furnace from igniting).
    Just some more things to check out.
    pipwax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 04:41 PM
    Thanks I will check.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2005, 07:33 PM
    If you have a pilot light lit, and the main burner doesn't light, the gas valve isn't opening. Check to see if it is getting 24 volts. If not, follow the wiring back to where the white wire comes in from the thermostat.
    There should also be likely a blue wire connecting the blower relays and the gas valve to one side of the transformer.

The small blower should be a forced draft and run the entire cycle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier furnace blower motor won't turn off [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Carrier central air and furnace(furnace model 58GS050-3), it was built around November, 1985. It has carrier air conditioner indoor cooling coils box model 28AC030-911 laid on top of the furnace. Everything was working until one week ago. Now with the thermostat off and the fan set to...

Carrier Furnace - Burners turn on and off [ 2 Answers ]

On my Carrier furnace (model 58G5100-2) the igniter starts the pilot, and most times the pilot starts the burners after a minute or two and then the blower motor starts. Other times, pilot lights the burners which burn for a minute or two, stop and then start again... and after a few minutes...

Carrier furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Blower runs, furnace won't ignite. ( pilot light IS WORKING) 1. filter was cleaned 2. thermostat reprogrammed . Is there anything we can do beafore calling service?

Carrier heating/air furnace [ 1 Answers ]

We have a carrier gas furnace which is only about 5yrs old. The fan is not turning on the unit outside and it has begun making a loud noise but its working fine as far as heating the house. What could be the problem and would it cost a lot to fix. Thanks for any help.

Carrier Furnace Evaporator Coils [ 1 Answers ]

How often do these coils need to be cleaned?

View more questions Search