Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arthurbach4 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 05:52 AM
    How to set up a wireless network.
    So I wish to set up a wireless network to enable both a PS3 (which I have) and a PVR (which I am about to purchase) to stream media from my laptop.

I am a massive noob in this area so any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is the equipment I have:

Laptop, which has neither internal wireless or Bluetooth capabilities. It does have an Ethernet connection and it also has a connection which has the words "Expansion Port 2" written near it (if that means anything re what I am trying to achieve.)

Netgear 4 port wireless router connected wirelessly to my laptop through a 54 Mbps wireless PC card (wg511 v2)

Windows XP Home edition.

Ps3 with wireless and Bluetooth capabilities. I already have this connected to the internet through the wireless router. (just not the media server thingy.)

Windows Media Player 11 (apparently this is used in regards the PS3 media sharing)

-------------------

I will tell you what I have attempted so far and you can chuckle out loud for a while then see if you can help me out :)

I clicked on control panel>wireless network setup wizard>ok>set up a new wireless network.

I give the new network a name and leave it checked on "automatically assign a network key"

Now it asks how I want to set up my network.

It recommends using a USB flash drive which I tried first of all and it put some kind of setup program on there. It then said to put the drive in the wireless access point, then the other computer (which I assume can also be the PS3) and then finally back into the host computer.

The first hurdle I came across was the fact that the wireless router I have does not have a USB port!

At this point I am starting to wonder whether I have all of the required equipment (perhaps some sort of networking specific hardware is missing?)

Still that is what you are all for!

I decided to come at this from a different angle so I go back to where it recommends using the USB drive to continue with the network setup.

There is another option which says "set up a network manually."

When I choose this option it says "Depending on the wireless software running on this computer, the wireless network setup wizard might not work.”

It then would not allow me to go any further.

This confuses me momentarily till I try another option and it makes more sense…

I go to control panel>network connections>new connection wizard

Near the bottom of this next page it has a hyper link to “view wireless networks in range.”

When I click on this it goes to a page which says “choose a wireless connection.”

But in the panel it says “windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to configure this wireless connection, use that software. If you want to use windows to configure this wireless connection click “change advanced settings,” click the wireless connections tab then select the check box labeled “use windows to configure my wireless network settings.”

When I do exactly this and then click on “view wireless networks” it comes up with a warning. “You have made changes to the properties of this connection. If you proceed your changes will be lost. Do you wish to proceed?”

At this point I panic that I will lose my current wireless internet connection and instead ask the experts (that’s you.)

Does the fact that my PC connects to the wireless router through some sort of Netgear proprietary software factor in here?

So can I do this thing wirelessly? If not can I do it with cords and if so how would I achieve that?

Thanks so much for your help.

Ok so I have an update:

When I was initially attempting all of the above I was connected to the internet wirelessly through the wireless PC card as I was doing it.

I swapped from the wireless connection to the Ethernet connection and tried the: control panel>wireless network setup wizard>ok>set up a new wireless network thing.

This time I by-passed the recommended USB option for the "set up a network manually." Option.

Whereas before it gave me this warning, "Depending on the wireless software running on this computer, the wireless network setup wizard might not work.” Now it let me go through and asked me to print out a set of network settings which were to be entered into the host computer/router and the other computer (ie. PS3)

I printed out the settings but am reasonably clueless as to where exactly to enter them.

Is it though the little Netgear icon in the system tray? Where on the PS3? Where on the host computer?

Again I apologize for the noobness but we all have to start somewhere right?

Pete.
    thematrix12 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Nov 25, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Hi pete,

I personally would not use the windows network setup wizard. Instead find the router's ip address normally 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 and setup from there. They normally have a setup built in. windows makes it far more confusing than it needs to be. Remember to add wpa security mate.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Nov 27, 2007, 12:32 PM
    I also wouldn't really use wireless to stream video. It will probably work most of the time, but the signal can be affected by so many different sources, and the connection is slower. If possible, have another computer with all the media files on it directly connected to the network (usually wireless routers have a few wired ports). If you connect the PVR and the computer both to the router with wires, it will be more reliable and faster.

As for the wireless net being able to find networks, see if the software that came with the card installed anything of that nature. Usually when you buy a card, they'll isntall their own software to manage the connection rather than just use the windows software. If it didn't install anything else, you can click start, run, type services.msc, and make sure the Wireless Zero Configuration Service isn't set to disabled, and that it's started. If not, you can right click it and go to properties to set it to whatever you want.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Nov 28, 2007, 02:39 PM
    [QUOTE=arthurbach4]arthurbach4 agrees: Thanks heaps.QUOTE]
    No problem. Just out of curiosity, what ended up fixing it? Or are you on the trail and still have a little bit to go?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

How do I set up a wireless home network? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to set up my home for a wireless network. I have a pretty good DSL connection, and A westell 3800 modem with networking. We have 3 laptops, and do not have a PC wired up anywhere. That works good, but I want to be able to share files and print wirelessly. I also have a nice netgear router,...

Wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

How do you set up a wireless card

How do I set up a wireless home network? [ 3 Answers ]

We have splashed out and bought a 2nd computer for our grandson who comes to stay with us most weekends, and we would like to organise it so that both his PC and our PC are wirelessly linked together and can both access the internet (ours can at present, but it uses a cable supplied by NTL). ...

How do I set up a home network (newbie) [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, Please could someone help me set up a home network with two computers. The main computer is connected to bt Yahoo broadband 1mb through the alcatel speedtouch 530 games modem and is connected to my PC using a usb connection. My daughters PC is upstairs, both pcs have ethernet...

View more questions Search