Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tongangirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 10:40 PM
    Annulment of Marriage
    I would like to know if I am expecting a baby and already have a child with my husband if we can get the marriage annulled or do we have to get divorced. There has been no cheating or fraud involved we just do not want to be married anymore what do I do get a divorce or an annulment
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 02:07 AM
    Once you have sex in a marriage, which you obviously did to have children, then the marriage is generally considered to be consummated, and it's not able to be annulled, especially since it's been some time and you've got children together, you'll have to get a divorce, not an annulment.
    lerouxma Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Talk to your parish. You will be able to get your marriage annulled. I know a couple who got their marriage annulled, and they had 3 kids, it took a while, but it happened
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2007, 09:26 PM
    My friend was married in the Catholic church. She divorced. She moved on and got engaged. When she checked into getting married in the church again she was told that she would have to get the original marriage annulled in the church first before she could marry there the second time.
    It had nothing to do with legal issues.
    I believe once you have had sex - you would have to get a divorce.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 21, 2007, 09:37 PM
    Arre you asking about a civil annulmnet, this is first seldom done, but normally if one party could not legally be married, or if no sex accord and sometimes within a number od "days" afterwards.

But in your case from the civil view point you need a divorce, first because you have children together and that will have to be child support and child visits and child custody to arrrange in court.

If you are talking about a religious annulment after you get a civil divorce that is different.
    digger1 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 27, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Well, Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise got an annulment after 9 years and two adoptions! She remarried in the catholic church to keith urban.

Funnies aside.
    Anulment isn't any easier than divorce, so if you are trying avoid the whole ordeal and process, its unavoidable. If you are catholic and wanting to remarry in the catholic church, you do need an anulment as I understand. I am not sure about other religions and branches of christianity.
    You have kids and a long history. An anullment literally means a "legal procedure for declaring a marriage null and void. Unlike divorce, it is retroactive: an annulled marriage is considered never to have existed."
    Is it really that important for you to imagine and have it considered "never to have existed"? Is it just for the sake of the church or how you think people will view you or another reason? What is that real reason-you have to ask yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage annulment [ 1 Answers ]

I married my husband on 01/10/06, and from day 1 he has always lied to me, we have never till this very day lived together or consummated, and I would like to know if I can obtain a marriage annulment based on this and also on the fact that he only married me to obtain his uk rights here. He is...

Rules of annulment [ 1 Answers ]

I want to get annulment I was married in oct of 2004 but only co-habituated for 8 months with my husband and want to get out of the marriage asap. And can I get the annulment in Nevada. We have no property, assets, children or joint ventures. I was married in California. But I want to end this...

Marriage Annulment/divorce [ 3 Answers ]

I have been married for 2 days and it feels like the biggest mistake I have ever made can I get an annulment?

Annulment vs divorce [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was married at age 15. Since she was so young, and the marriage only lasted 1.5 years, can she qualify for an annulment. We live in the state of Florida.

View more questions Search