lolly1307 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 09:39 AM
    Help with a pregnant female dog
    Can someone tell me the behaviour of a pregnant female dog,
    How they would act towards other dogs/females,
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2005, 01:01 PM
    Once they are past their fertile period, they may become hostile to any strange dogs. Even if already pregnant by one dog, they will still continue strenuous efforts to mate with any available males until their fertile period passes. A sure clue to the pregnancy is how other dogs react to them. Males may lose interest in their genitals and become more interested in their nipples. Other females that consider themselves to be higher status may initiate hostilities. Definitely keep an eye on her around other dogs. Later in the 63 gestation period, she will work at finding a den to deliver in.

If you need to ask this question, you need to to be doing some serious reading and perhaps recruiting experienced help for the delivery. Go to www.akc.org and read what they have to say. You may find some books at your local library. Even if they are on the old side, most of the info should be good.

So would a visit to a vet. A month after conception, the vet can confirm a pregnancy. False pregnancies are common.
    lolly1307 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2005, 06:37 AM
    I would just like to say thanks, erm also another question for you is how would she be towards her brother?would she be going for him in a vicious way?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2005, 07:35 AM
    A lot of this depends, partly on you. If you are well established as top dog, then she should trust you to keep order and all the dogs in the household to protect her and help care for the puppies after they are born. The dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/

I have seen some exceptional things with my friends' breeding stock. We all held our breath the night Princess delivered her first litter, when her mother jumped into the birthing box and started grooming the puppies. Of course grandma was allowed to help. Later she allowed Isaac, a male to help. Her first memories of Isaac would have been him helping with her litter. Princess did take exception to a younger half sister getting near the puppies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

27 female and never had a boyfriend [ 75 Answers ]

I am 27, smart, funny, and am beginning to better appreciate my looks. I run a lot, do the makeup/hair thing on the weekends and have scores of friends. People are naturally attracted to me on a friendship level because I really love connecting with people and am very much an extrovert. But, I...

Female president [ 32 Answers ]

How come we never have a girl for a president?

Female Cat Question [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. My female cat has been acting weird lately, and my sister thinks it might be kittens. She's been really mean to our dog, practically starves for my attention day and night, and constantly meows for me to follow her to a space in the closet that's basically hidden from prying eyes. Is...

Spay a female dog [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Does anybody know a low or free spay/ neuter clinic? / in San Francisco CA. I have found one. The SF/SPCA, but it is overbooked. Thank you,

Female governors [ 7 Answers ]

What states have had female governors ?

View more questions Search